Man boasts about being smart, gets first question wrong on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"

Originally published at: Man boasts about being smart, gets first question wrong on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Yeah, if you have to announce to people that you’re smart, you ain’t as smart as you think you are.

42 Likes

Old Buddhist saying…“first thought, best thought”. Should have stuck with your guts genius.

11 Likes

I’ve found that most of the people that consider themselves “smart” and got good grades are just good at memorizing things. So they do well on tests. But they don’t know how to take what they have memorized and use it for critical thinking.

16 Likes

43 Likes

Everyone knows that smart people read Buzzfeed. If you excuse me, I have some important reading I have to catch up on that site

22 Likes

I imagine Einstein would have gotten that one wrong too.

But he wouldn’t have bragged about how smart he was beforehand.

Or to put it another way, “being smart” is not necessarily the same as knowing trivia.

28 Likes

Exactly. I’d expect a smart person to know that a broad range of subjects and trivia are used for questions on game shows.

19 Likes

9 Likes

The smartest people I know are also the ones who ask themselves if they might be wrong before speaking.

23 Likes

18 Likes

I will say that I have no idea what the question asked is talking about but Ikea seemed the most obvious answer anyway. This one isn’t even about knowing the triva about Buzzfeed- it’s about having visited Ikea.

16 Likes

Imgur

15 Likes

Reminds me a bit of this video:

2 Likes

Is this the only time the phrase “If you’re so smart why ain’t you rich?” might actually be a valid response; rather than a deep misunderstanding of what attributes lead to wealth?

4 Likes

I mean, every trivia buff has their blind spots. In watching various shows, the super smart ones usually lag behind in pop culture knowledge.

10 Likes

It does actually seem like an unusually hard first question. “To Rome” isn’t that wrong.

7 Likes

Kinda, it’s an easy question, but it’s also a question without a 100% clear answer. I can understand how someone in a weird situation (first question of a game show) could be not thinking clearly and outsmart themselves.

11 Likes

If ‘being smart’ is having knowledge of internet memes and the internal workings of low quality furniture stores, I’m most certainly not as smart as I think I am…and I don’t think I’m all that smart!

10 Likes

I was sure the correct answer was “Jail.”

4 Likes