'People who boast about their I.Q. are losers' —Stephen Hawking

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/10/trump-is-a-moron.html

9 Likes

Woohoo mine’s 120!

11 Likes

Generally speaking, people who seriously boast about anything are losers. I remember when those “Damn, I’m Good” bumper stickers were popular. I could always tell which driver wasn’t very good.

20 Likes

Il Douche did himself no favours when he challenged Tillerson to a battle of the IQs – a challenge to the Google AI (47.28) might have offered him a sporting chance at winning.

14 Likes

Indeed; if you want to convince me you’re smart, don’t TELL me how smart you are—SHOW me how smart you are.

This Steve guy seems pretty bright.

22 Likes
17 Likes

tumblr_oxa4aj6XqA1qzsnxyo1_540

41 Likes

If I start congratulating myself for being clever, it is absolutely guaranteed that there’s a major fuck-up incoming within the minute. Like clockwork.

I can laugh at being hoist by my own petard, but it’s really not a good look for the president.

29 Likes

I supposedly qualify as “genius”, according to an IQ test decades ago, and Mensa chased me more determinedly than PBS looking for a repeat donation (after I took their test on a dare; seriously, don’t do this unless you want mailers for eternity), but those tests and their derived numbers are, simply put, utter bullshit and malarkey.

“Genius” really is in what you do with intelligence, not just the raw power of your brain. I AM smart, yeah, but I’m also an aging pothead and blue-collar worker; I’ve done nothing particularly “of genius” with my life, beyond somehow fooling my wife into signing the marriage docs ^^’. I’m OK with that, mind you — I don’t dislike my life at all — but “genius”…? Nah.

35 Likes

The quicker fucker upper - good one.

8 Likes

I am so smart! I am so smart S M R T I mean S M A R T…

16 Likes

I don’t know what my IQ is, but QI is a great British comedy talk show, that I highly recommend.

Stephen Fry and Alan Davis anchor the show, with lots of celebrities (mostly comedians) summoned to round out the banter.

13 Likes

There’s endless anecdotes of certified geniuses who can barely function. My son recently said I was probably smarter than his mother (who has 2 Ivy degrees), but I’m a dropout who’s main claim to fame is I managed to stay in the arts and never had to get a day job. I can’t multitask for shit but she’s tremendous at it, as is he. Stupid is as stupid does.

3 Likes

Yeah, well, we don’t call him The Hawk for nothing.

8 Likes

Found the dude I remembered

Born in San Francisco in 1952, self-educated Christopher Langan is a special kind of genius. By the time he turned four, he’d already taught himself how to read. At high school, according to Langan, he tutored himself in “advanced math, physics, philosophy, Latin and Greek, all that.” What’s more, he allegedly got 100 percent on his SAT test, even though he slept through some of it. Langan attended Montana State University but dropped out. Rather like the titular character in 1997 movie Good Will Hunting, Langan didn’t choose an academic career; instead, he worked as a doorman and developed his Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe during his downtime. In 1999, on TV newsmagazine 20/20, neuropsychologist Robert Novelly stated that Langan’s IQ – said to be between 195 and 210 – was the highest he’d ever measured. Langan has been dubbed “the smartest man in America.”

Now, here’s where all that horsepower got him:

Asked about creationism, Langan has said:
"I believe in the theory of evolution, but I believe as well in the allegorical truth of creation theory. In other words, I believe that evolution, including the principle of natural selection, is one of the tools used by God to create mankind. Mankind is then a participant in the creation of the universe itself, so that we have a closed loop. I believe that there is a level on which science and religious metaphor are mutually compatible.

Langan has claimed: “You can prove the existence of God, the soul and an afterlife, using mathematics.”[7]

3 Likes

There are even more “geniuses” out there nowadays with the advent of all those rigorously suspect online IQ tests. You’ll find people all over social media convinced that they’re unrecognized Einsteins not because of anything they’ve actually accomplished but because a web site somewhere spat out a high number at them.

It apparently doesn’t occur to these intellectual Titans that the business model for online IQ test sites requires making flattering assessments of the people who visit online IQ test sites.

10 Likes

I bet Weinstein scores OK.
I don’t think that trumpelstitskin would pass.
I mean, at all.
Um, I guess that there is some reading.

Would he bring his glasses?

1 Like

Well yes you’re a dick if you boast about your high IQ when it’s legitimate–but boasting about a non-existent high IQ is even worse! I’d love to see Trump try to sit still and concentrate for 90 minutes or however long one of those tests takes. Plus he could never think through many of the kinds of problems they include. If he has a testable IQ of over 105 I’d be amazed.

(Yes, IQ tests do not capture some of the most important mental characteristics people can have, so by saying Trump wouldn’t do well I’m not claiming IQ tests say something meaningful…)

9 Likes

Not just any Hawk. The Hawk King!

[original credit for joke to Ian Stewart’s book Flatterland]

9 Likes

I bet Trump’s IQ is 110 to 120. His lack of impulse control negates any advantages a mildly above average IQ might gain him.

3 Likes