Watch: this video shows why the word "smart" is so painful for Trump

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/01/watch-this-video-shows-why-the-word-smart-is-so-painful-for-trump.html

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice, Donnie. Don’t worry, there was never any danger I’d call you smart.

19 Likes

He may actually have belched or choked while saying “bipartisan”, rather than fumbled it… but of course, that’s because the concept physically hurts him so much…

6 Likes
11 Likes

Trump is indeed an arrogant idiot (among other things) and absolutely deserves to be attacked on this from any and all fronts, but I still don’t think this was one of the Lincoln Project’s strongest attack ads. Most of these clips were just showing him misreading or mispronouncing words, often followed up by corrections. That’s a lot less damning than the many examples of fundamental ignorance or idiocy he’s demonstrated on any number of important issues, but maybe that’s just harder to edit together in a series of very short soundbites.

10 Likes

Donald brags about how he graduated at the top of his class at Wharton. We can’t see his school transcripts, but the commencement program is publicly available, and shows he didn’t even graduate with honors, let alone magna cum laude.

Trump’s whole line of attack on Biden’s intelligence is based on a lie conservatives are actively spreading, that Biden claimed he went to an all Black college (Delaware State) because there is a clip of him saying he started his 1972 campaign at DSU, and they are deliberately taking it out of context to malign him.

17 Likes

But you may be misunderestimating their understanding of the demographic they’re trying to reach. They don’t have the attention span to connect words and subsequent actions, so verbal pratfalls are a stand-in for linear thinking.

It’s also the same reason the trump campaign went after Joe’s cognizance and why donny belligerently bowled over him at the debate. We are living out a WWE shoot video.

7 Likes

It’s true that I’m not the target audience that they need to reach, so anything that makes him less appealing to the few undecided or Trump-curious voters out there is just fine by me, and it’s all fair game. I just hope it doesn’t backfire at all or generate any level of sympathy among the target group. I know that if I was being recorded constantly whenever I was out in public there would be no shortage of verbal stumbles that could be edited into a similar sort of video.;

1 Like

26 posts were split to a new topic: Liberal Schadenfreude

Yeah, it would be really nice if we could get out from under this rock long enough to build a society that is truly merit-based and rewards honesty, intellectual curiosity and fact-based information. Unfortunately, that requires investments in apolitical education and that requires rewriting our political systems to reward the most qualified instead of the most richest.

4 Likes

Can someone tell me what it was Trumpty-Dumpsterfire was actually objecting to? (I cannot watch it.)

What was it about Biden’s use of ‘smart’ that made Donnie-dumbnuts say ‘don’t ever use the word smart with me’?

1 Like

I’d rather not upset you.

1 Like

What Biden said isn’t in the Lincoln Project video in this BoingBoing post, but it’s in this YouTube video which is just a minute long, and I’ve started it at 15 seconds in where Biden says it, if you can stand to watch for just a few seconds.

6 Likes

So he was simply claiming that Biden had no right to use that word given that Biden was dumber in Trump’s lying eyes. Got it. Thanks.

5 Likes

That, plus I’d say that what was extra-triggering to Trump was Biden’s use of the word in relation to Trump in relation to the huge number of Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. [edit: i.e., Trump had to quickly distract from that]

3 Likes

This is one facet of his personality where I kind of feel sorry for his circumstance. Something tells me that his easy upbringing didn’t really instill an early curiosity and interest in reading, and probably was not encouraged to by his parents who likely kept their kids at arm’s length.

3 Likes

When Trump debated Hillary, some of the things he said were so incredibly dumb, I thought that would definitely be the end of him. But he not only repeated some of the same idiocy, his supporters actually thought he was smart as a result.

Yeah, this. It’s what I think of as “the Idiocracy effect” - by which I mean, in trying to depict stupidity, they made the depiction itself incredibly dumb so that dumb viewers wouldn’t be alienated watching it.

1 Like
7 Likes

Well, but see, calling someone those things is judgemental, cause you don’t know what’s in their hearts, so you should ignore all their actions, no matter how destructive or hurtful and never call them such politically loaded terms… also, BOTH SIDES DO IT!!! /s

All this! Yes, the democratic party is a part of the establishment and empire. They are still a better option than the current GOP, who are literally the party of genocide right now.

16 Likes

I tried to find out whether there is a stronger tendency among socio/psychopaths to believe that they are smarter than others than in the general population, but was unable to find a paper. However, I found this paper that suggests that psychopaths tend to be slightly less intelligent than the general population: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/100693v2

I also wonder if socio/psychopaths have a greater tendency to talk about how smart they are and obsess over it?

My going hypothesis was that people without empathy tend to view people taking actions on the basis of empathy as “dumb” or “being losers” or “suckers”, and then consequently view themselves as being more intelligent. Trump is really the only person whom I’ve had to view this behavior over a long period of time, though.