Man boasts about being smart, gets first question wrong on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"

Long time ago, I was able to help my group win “resident jeopardy” not by getting the answer right, but understanding the rules of the game and not overbetting on “final jeopardy”. (we were behind when we got to final jeopardy, but the other two groups bet all their cash. Everybody got the answer wrong, but our group lost the least points).
TL;DR knowing the right answers is necessary but not sufficent; understanding how the game works (ie, pop trivia, how taking 50/50 works, etc) is key.

8 Likes

Rome has meatballs, but ‘snapping selfies in kitchens you can’t afford’ would be an odd thing to be a thing on first trip to any city.

20 Likes

11 Likes

Yeah but Einstein died three years before the first IKEA store opened so it wouldn’t really be a fair question.

24 Likes

Discount meatball shop. The furniture is all upsell.

13 Likes

Human intelligence is a diverse thing and not all that easy to pin down. I don’t think cultural trivia is a good measure of it. That being said, if you are the sort to boast about how smart you are I may not believe you.

19 Likes

Or at least having heard of IKEA.

Or even just being familiar enough with the other three answers to know they didn’t make sense.

15 Likes

Yeah, if I’d been asked that as an open question I don’t think I woul’dve got it, but given the context of the answers I hope I wouldn’t make this guy’s mistake

8 Likes

16 Likes

AND their freakin meatballs.

one-does-not-simply-go-to-ikea-without-eating-swedish-meatballs

20 Likes

Depends if you get a hotel or an airbnb/vrbo type thingy.

Or, if you visit a Roman ruin’s kitchen, I mean no way I could afford all that hand-made hand-laid tile. (eta whoops didn’t see prooftheory’s already made that joke)

3 Likes

She could totally afford a kitchen like that! Doesn’t even have a smart fridge.

But ‘kitchen I can’t afford’ really isn’t the salient factor, is it? I mean, that’s not what I’d be thinking when I snapped the picture.

5 Likes

There’s also the assumption of access which is implied; Ikea is way more accessible to most 21-year-olds than any foreign city in another country.

This wasn’t “a hard question”; it was one based on paying attention to the context of said question, (and also an assumed knowledge that Ikea offers meatballs.)

21 Likes

Yeah, if you know Ikea sells meatballs, which he did, and that Ikea has staged kitchens, the ‘can’t afford’ is a big hint, especially combined with “first trip” and the implication that there are more.

I was kind of surprised the audience didn’t gasp when he said he didn’t think IKEA was the answer.

Edit: It was a trick question! Every AirBNB in Rome has an IKEA kitchen!

12 Likes

f7b

6 Likes

If Hollywood has taught me anything, the correct answer is “quince.”

5 Likes

14 Likes

That’s good TV right there. Everyone likes to see a perceived elitist trip on their shoe laces.

9 Likes

I agree that intelligence is not correlated with trivia knowledge, and I’ve met many people who blow me away with their smarts, that don’t get what I think of as very well-known pop culture references (we’re talking “use the Force, Luke” level). That said, I would think that if he was anywhere near as smart as he thinks he is, he would have meta-gamed the question, realized it’s the first gimme question in a longer game, and that “to Ikea” (ugh, “IKEA” is an acronym, show writers) is the obvious answer, being the only non-city in the bunch. At least, that’s what I would have done, if I was the sort of person for whom the answer wasn’t immediately self-evident.

4 Likes

Am I the only person in North America who’s never been to an Ikea?

4 Likes