ISS astronaut asked if he took home a piece of the moon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/28/iss-astronaut-asked-if-he-took.html

4 Likes

Is it awful of me to feel relief that it isn’t an American morning tv host asking this?

35 Likes

If the radiation wasn’t such a problem, I certainly would take home some moon bits…

4 Likes

At work we would quiz the young non-science graduates:
If I’m standing on the moon, and I let go of a baseball, what happens to the baseball?
My favorite answer - ‘It flies away.’
When asked how is it that I don’t fly away on the moon - the answer - ‘Heavy Boots’

15 Likes

I mean, did she HAVE to be blonde? Such a stereotype, you know…

1 Like

you would think he’d at least snag an ashtray

10 Likes

At least she didn’t ask if it was a planet.

7 Likes

Can you hear me, Major Tim?
Can you “Here am I floating 'round my tin can
Far above the moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there’s nothing I can do”
Especially about idiots.

7 Likes

Hey, not every astronaut knows about ISS-Luna, the joint venture between the NWO and the Reptillians. In a few weeks they’ll disappear this interviewer for her almost spilling the beans.

14 Likes

Speaking of the ISS, there’s a site you can check to see when it’s visible to you in the sky where you live.
Kinda cool to watch it pass over -

4 Likes

Kudos to the astronaut for not just staring in stunned disbelief in response to the question. I have a hunch that anyone who does the media rounds as a public representative of the space program probably gets accustomed to answering really stupid questions.

21 Likes

It really is high time that they launch the long-overdue “gift shop module” though. Souvenir sales could really help offset some of the costs of running the station.

12 Likes

I feel like there was a “that’s no moon” opportunity there. Pity.

12 Likes

Took home a piece of the moon… is this their way of asking if he tapped any ass?

Anyone who has a job that exposes them to the general public gets accustomed to answering very stupid questions.

AND WHY IS THERE THE SAYING “There’s no such thing as a stupid question.”. Yes there definitely is.

my favorite take on the matter:

5 Likes

More generically, you can input your latitude and longitude, or even just a nearby city, and see what’s whizzing by overhead:
Satellite flybys

3 Likes

My instinctive reflex was this this was a fox and friends segment…was also relieved.

He handled it very graciously. yes kudos to him, both for going to space, and for being so kind about answering such a question.

He really missed an opportunity to say, no lady, i was in SPACE, not the hollywood studio used to fake the moon.

8 Likes

What an incredibly kind and friendly response. I think I learned something just now.

6 Likes

We have a national tradition of people in these jobs who are good at PR, e.g. also Wing Commander Andy Green, Jenson Button, and Major Tim Collins. Like the US, these are the people who have serious jobs requiring extraordinary skills, unlike (for instance) politicians.

But in mitigation of the announcer, let me remind you of a very famous riff from an English author which begins “space is big” (Quote Details: Douglas Adams: Space is big. You... - The Quotations Page). It’s not surprising that someone whose entire life probably revolves around a TV studio, a nightclub or two and a few fashionable restaurants (though not TRAtEotU) might have problems with orders of magnitude when it comes to spacetime.

2 Likes

Seriously, of course not; that kind of relief does not come at someone else’s expense. Then again, even in the US (perhaps especially in the US), I think it’s common knowledge that – foremost – American TV hosts pretty much have to be easy-on-the-eyes, and not necessarily bright and knowledgeable.

PS: My mental image of Major Tim immediately responding to the question by doing a ‘Buzz Aldrin’ on her is just too much.

3 Likes