NASA opening International Space Station to tourists

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/07/nasa-opening-international-spa.html

1 Like

Ahh, to be insanely wealthy! What an amazing experience this would be!

9 Likes

Great, now my kids are going to insist on one of those destination birthday parties.

15 Likes

So when one of these $35k dopes gets hurt or killed, their family then gets to own my space station, plus a few national treasures. What could go wrong, really?

Plus, life in space is 100% constraint at this point in time, you might as well go up to be Bruce Dern and take care of the plants. (Okay, maybe if they throw in the robot pals.)

7 Likes

Willy Wonka in spaaaaace. Prepare to see Violet Beauregarde expanding past the porthole.

10 Likes

:star::star:
Stunning location, lives up to the photos. But I thought I was supposed to get the whole place to myself. Had to share with a bunch of science nerds the whole time I was there. Getting there is a real pain. Air conditioner seemed to be on the blink, as the air smelt funny the whole time I was there, and the facilities were v. primitive. Couldn’t get much sleep, due to alarms going off constantly. Definitely overpriced. Would not recommend to others.

22 Likes

But are they a an Airbnb Superhost?

9 Likes

the tourism agency pulls out the War and Peace-sized book signed (in dozens if not hundreds of places) by the deceased before the trip that indemnifies the tourism agency and NASA from any liability for anything except an astronaut deliberately shoving the tourist out the airlock (and in that situation only the astronaut in question is liable.)

7 Likes

Sex-in-space would sell.

4 Likes

astro

2 Likes
7 Likes

If this could be done in a way that it doesn’t diminish or impede the scientific work of the ISS then I’m all for using it as a way to transfer wealth to NASA. Just as long as NASA actually makes an obscene amount of profit and gets to keep it.

5 Likes

Also, no wi-fi, and this creepy host has CCTV cameras literally everywhere!

4 Likes

NoAirBnB.
Nice decor, shitty atmosphere.

5 Likes

3 Likes

I was going to make a joke about crowdsourcing the cost of
a one-way ticket but I cant be bothered.

4 Likes

Just tell them no family groups have ever gone into space yet and they’ll pay for it themselves.

1 Like

It won’t be much fun when the Vermicious Knids attack.

6 Likes

Yeah, but is breakfast included?

1 Like

Does NASA hold the title for the ISS, and with whom?

Sooner or later, they’re going to have squatter problems.

1 Like