SCRUBBED: How to watch the historic SpaceX/NASA launch today!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/27/how-to-watch-the-historic-spac.html

5 Likes

I’ll give SpaceX one thing: the Crew Dragon interior looks slick as all get out.

Whenever I’ve had a chance to peek into U.S. or Russian capsules (granted, always from the 60’s and 70’s) they remind me of engineering grad student projects with lots of obviously hand-done work and the occasional sharp corner. (To be fair, they had a job to do and got the job done.)

Now, :thinking: would I take comfort, personally, from the improved aesthetics? I’ll never get to find out but damn, it sure looks good. :smile:

Looking forward to the launch… :beer::popcorn::+1::crossed_fingers: …wish I was in Florida to watch it in person…

10 Likes

I’m so excited! Here’s hoping the weather cooperates today!

5 Likes

Ooo nerd stuff, live.

2 Likes

I won’t be watching this link however. Here are a few other options:

NASA Live:

Everyday Astronaut Live:

SpaceX Live:

8 Likes

For those who don’t want to give NatGeo an email address to read about history in the making, here’s a link to the pertinent information…

And as @Thrull1 posted, you can watch the launch live on NASA’s live YouTube feed…

7 Likes

Can we fix these video embeds in the utterly wrong aspect ratio?

I thought it was just me. Seemed to start about a week ago

1 Like

I’m always amused when I see how harnesses are bundled on space systems. On the one program I worked in the past there was lots of kapton tape, epoxy, and black lacing cord in lieu of other heavier fasteners. I always enjoy when the mars rover gets a peek at itself and you can see kapton wraps everywhere.

2 Likes

Fly high, Bob and Doug McKenzie! https://youtu.be/V4KTebUT6Mw

4 Likes

Hey there, eh? Anyone able to get the “NASA Live” commentator on the line and ask him to stop referring to the astronauts as “Bob and Doug”?

:canada: snickers every time he does that, eh?

8 Likes

Those suits look pretty slick too. Proper sci-fi looking tailoring and piping and whatnot.

3 Likes

Yeah, he said

Not until after they Take Off, hosehead.

9 Likes

Gee, I had the opposite impression. They look like the result of a direct-to-video sci-fi movie.

The fewer the number of seams, zippers, and umbilical ports, the fewer possible points of failure.

For me, what is “off” is the fact that the flightsuit seems to have a “top” distinct “top” from the “pants.” It’s just hard to see how it can be air-tight and spaceworthy.

4 Likes

The fewer the number of seams, zippers, and umbilical ports, the fewer possible points of failure.

Mike Collins’ great book Carrying the Fire* pays tribute to the seamstresses who stitched his Gemini and Apollo suits together. They did wonderful work, but our astronauts are probably safer to have less of it.

*if you have even a passing interest in spaceflight and have not yet read this book, you are really missing something.

2 Likes

I think that’s because they look streamlined instead of having all those visible ports and hoses. I personally always thought the exposed pee-tube attachments on the old NASA pressure suits looked undignified but YMMV.

Undignified would be Elon Musk’s reaction if someone stuck an Apple sticker on his rocket ship.

4 Likes

BREAKING NEWS: Launch delayed as car-shaped space junk passes overhead.

10 Likes

Watching the live feed i still can’t shake the feeling it looks like spaceman cosplay or, as someone else said, a low budget science fiction film set. Still exciting though and it’s a leap ahead of what we’re used to seeing inside these capsules with all the knobs and switches and stuff. I suppose i’m also a bit surprised by the reliance on touchscreens which offers that slick sci-fi aesthetic but do they have any redundancy should they fail? Not that the astronauts are doing much since the thing pretty much flies itself.

7 Likes

Scrubbed for today. On the plus side, if one of the astronauts has an itchy nose they’re be able to scratch it that much sooner.

5 Likes