#StarMan: Watch live views of Elon Musk's SpaceX 'pilot' driving Tesla Roadster in Space

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/06/car-in-space-elon-musk.html

13 Likes

giphy2

20 Likes

I was promised flying cars - close enough.

15 Likes

I want one.

4 Likes

More space junk. Meh.

13 Likes

Even I could park with that much room…

8 Likes

I want THAT one.

5 Likes

That is so incredibly cool. The stream is nice, but it would be great to hear real-time mission updates. I guess the center core return is not televised?

3 Likes

Let’s see reentry

10 Likes

Do be honest. Seeing those twin boosters touch down…and the ferring come of the Tesla was a big “WHOO WHOO” moment for me. I smiled.

It was a test flight. For a heavy launch vehicle. …so the guy says…hey instead of a bunch of concrete blocks…let’s launch my car.

The major takeaway is that it brought back something spaceflight needed…a ‘cool factor’. The “Whoo Whoo” moment where you cheer and smile.

9 Likes

Seen it.

3 Likes

I think Elon watched Heavy Metal one too many times.

5 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s not intended to stay in our planetary neighborhood.

8 Likes

i-want-it-now-veruca-salt-gif

6 Likes

It would have been a heavy junk payload regardless, because it won’t be more earth-orbit junk unless something goes wrong, I believe it’s supposed to to into a heliocentric mars-injection orbit as part of the test. More interesting than a big brick.

6 Likes

A crazy, mad-scientist pioneered a currency transfer system, became a billionaire, created a car company that is revolutionizing the industry, and then proceeded to shoot his personal car to Mars. This happened.

Centuries from now there will be a serious church that whorships Elon Musk.

9 Likes

According to this tweet from Dec.

There’s a copy of the Hitchhikers Guide in the glove compartment…and a towel.

11 Likes

OH fuck - you remember how that ends, right?

https://youtu.be/NWmra9ZGiTE?t=29s

Shit - this is how it ends, right?

5 Likes

Don’t forget NASA’s blatant product placement for the 1971 Chevy Luna.

15 Likes

It turned out the center core was lost–apparently only one of the three engines fired and it crashed into the ocean.

Still the most amazing thing I’ve seen in a very long time. The synchronized landing of the other two boosters was mind-boggling.

13 Likes