Company's goal is to build orbiting space hotel by 2025

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/06/companys-goal-is-tio-build-o.html

3 Likes

Company’s goal is to build orbiting space hotel by 2025

I hope there’s some atmosphere…

10 Likes

Look out for Vermicious Knids.

15 Likes

I bet the rooms will be small, and the walls paper thin.

4 Likes

Gateway Foundation officials acknowledge that the station might not be entirely finished by 2025

16 Likes

the Von Braun Rotating Space Station

huh. That’s one way to name it. I guess “Elysium” was too on the nose?

12 Likes

Wanted: Space Furniture

djinn_chair_in_2001_a_space_odyssey

9 Likes

Judging by NASA’s remark, it sounds like they would be building it on earth. That would definitely be a pretty large feat of physics to get it into space. Also, will they employ trained astronauts to maintain it? I just think about all the high end hotels on earth that were once maintained and beautiful only to have 20 years later dilapidated and waiting for an investor to save it.

6 Likes

Von Braun? Honoring the Nazi SS officer who worked to death slave laborers so he could more efficiently bomb civilians in Great Britain? Um… how about, NO. This is mind-bogglingly f*cked up to call it that.

11 Likes

Nice! I like the billionaire-culling Space-bait.

Plus the Space-cleaning staff.

And the Space-concierge.

12 Likes

Wanted:
Housekeepers, bellboys, bar and waitstaff. No prior experience necessary, advanced degree in aerospace engineering preferred.

19 Likes

We all know how this ends…

10 Likes

So they want something in orbit for an actual opening in 2027? That still sounds tremendously ambitious. The whole plan is “We are going to build a structure larger and much more elaborate than the ISS and have it done in less than a decade with private investor funding.” While ISS construction was hampered by the inefficiency of the Space Shuttle program it was still supported by two large nations plus contributions from other nations around the globe.

I’m not going to say that it’s impossible, but I have these guys in the same bucket as the supersonic bizjet guys, asteroid mining outfits, and Mars settlers as people who have a lot of ambition but extremely unrealistic timelines.

11 Likes

I hear Adam Neumann and Elizabeth Holmes are available. I’ll bet they could promise to get it up and running even faster, maybe by 2022? I mean if you are going to go pie space station in the sky you might as well go all the way :thinking:

3 Likes

I think it would look better if Boris designed it.

5 Likes

I guess this means they’re looking for suckers …I mean investors.

No way itcould be built by then - no way it would be affordable for your average family to go vaction in space. Maybe if they get passed the hurdles in devloping a space elevator the cost could come down.

10 Likes

The International Space Station has a crew of six and cost $150 billion USD to build. Suckers is right.

7 Likes

Company’s goal is to build orbiting space hotel by 2025

My goal is to be a billionaire and dating Anne Hathaway by 2025. Is it a realistic goal? Do I have a plan for achieving it? Well, no. What’s your point?

9 Likes

Not the first time, either…

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nasa-gives-its-mission-target-a-name-right-out-of-nazi-mythology_n_5c2cd728e4b05c88b704c484

4 Likes

What agencies could require a decommission, reentry, and disposal plan for companies whose bright idea involves launching materials into space? They always seem to forget about that part of the project, and those of us on the ground need some protection. Ever since Skylab, this makes me nervous:

3 Likes