Live! Watch William Shatner launch to space this morning

Originally published at: Live! Watch William Shatner launch to space this morning | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Alternative headline: Watch Shatner ride Bezos’ giant dick into space.

20 Likes

22 Likes

kirk GIF

23 Likes

It’s now T-32:00, and the commentators are so obscenely artificially effusive about the crew and Dear Leader Bezos with the wonderful technology. I would imagine this is what it’s like in a 4th world country that suddenly has a new fax machine down at the presidential palace.

14 Likes

We need a website dedicated to simply answering the question, “Is Shatner in space?”

4 Likes

Watch rich people do pointless things!

Nah i’m good, thanks tho.

12 Likes

Nobody else thinks it’s a bad idea to subject a 90 year old man to 6 Gs of acceleration/deceleration?

7 Likes

I guess that’s to be expected considering the feed is literally corporate propaganda from Bezos’ company rather than anything approaching actual journalism.

5 Likes

This is why I’m waiting for the interview after he returns… :grimacing:

3 Likes

They might need a shorter mic stand.

3 Likes

Denny Crane: “I once captained my own spaceship!

5 Likes

5 Likes

While I find the whole Blue Origin to be a gross display of wealth with little scientific importance, I do think Capt. Kirk going into space is a bit poetic and fitting. Classic Trek inspired so many real scientists and astronauts.

11 Likes

He looked a little shaken leaving the capsule- but has recovered and is talking like Shatner now.

Really- pretty impressive for 90.

9 Likes

So, I watched. I despise Shatner these days, but I did enjoy seeing him try to tell Bezos some deep thought about the flight and have Bezos turn away to get some champagne. Bill stood there for a bit, looking… alone. Two giant dicks standing by the tip of the rich one’s giant dick rocket. The “customers.” The happy joyful announcer who sounded like she was selling timeshares in Cancun.

This whole thing is wrong. We’re going to turn space into just another commodity, aren’t we. Another place for the wealthy to get richer, despoiling our night views, dumping their shit back into our atmosphere, while they sip champagne and mock the poors. As much as I’ve been a proponent of expanding space to the private sector, letting rich billionaires run the show is just so incredibly going to backfire on us, the way it always does.

10 Likes

This isn’t where investments need to be made now. We need to ensure that the place we launch these from can continue to be an M class planet first.

13 Likes

It’s a shitty PR stunt to compensate for all the bad press Bezo’s trip received.

3 Likes

Don’t disagree with you. Back when I was a proponent of it in the late 70’s/early 80’s, we hadn’t really started worrying about global climate change yet. It was only just starting to be noted as a potential problem. Our money - the billions Bezos hoards that should have been rightfully collected - should be redirected there. With or without his cooperation. Tax the bastard the way he should be.

Yep. The billionaires are all now trying to one up each other. Plus Bezos has extra incentive to prove his penis can get hard and high because of his suit against NASA. They aren’t doing this just for fun, they know there are potentially trillions in profits to be hard in space technology.

10 Likes

They should claw that back from them. Hell - they should already be using my taxes for it too. Way over a majority support this spending.

7 Likes