Interesting, thoughtful stories

6 Likes

America’s Terrifying Cycle of Extremist Violence

https://archive.ph/ztlwr

6 Likes

America faces a type of extremist violence it does not know how to stop.

That sure does sound like the Chicken Little, scare the reasonable white folks Atlantic I know.

5 Likes

Amanpour and Co had an interview with the author recently… Looks like it’s also further up the thread?

6 Likes

Well, we better learn how to deal with violent white people.

7 Likes

Historically, we’ve just let them have their violent outbursts… way past time for that to change…

8 Likes

Hell yes.

7 Likes

You mean this gun-toting, Bible-clutching hicks in the sticks? Meh, they’re off in the sticks!

:expressionless: :tired_face:

5 Likes

We will fight them in the Hootervilles, we will fight them in the sticks! We will fight them in the suburbs! We will fight them in the Cities!

6 Likes

Arresting the Jan. 6th insurrectionists (though still not their leaders) was a step in that direction… The FBI needs to seriously start disrupting the white supremacist networks like they do Black Civil Rights groups. Infiltrate and disrupt, like they did with the Panthers, FFS… Turn about is fair play, since these white power groups are far more violent and dangerous than Black civil rights groups or environmentalist groups.

10 Likes

And easier for them to infiltrate- if my impression of the demographic makeup of the FBI is accurate.

8 Likes
7 Likes

In the years before the pandemic—from 2015 to early 2020—Black children in four major US cities were 27 times more likely to be shot than white children. But, from 2020 to the end of 2021, Black children were 100 times more likely to be shot than white children, according to anew study in JAMA Network Open. The study examined firearm assault data from New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia.

The study also found that Hispanic children were about 26 times more likely to be shot than white children during the pandemic, up from a relative risk of 8.6-fold prior to the health emergency. And Asian children were about four times more likely to be shot than white children, up from a relative risk of 1.4-fold from before the pandemic.

While the rate of shootings among white children did not change during the pandemic, the health emergency was linked to a two-fold increase in firearm injuries among children overall. That equates to an extra 503.5 gunshot injuries than if the pandemic hadn’t occurred, the study authors from Boston University estimated.

Firearm injuries have been on the rise for years prior to the pandemic. But in 2020, they became the top killer of US kids, surpassing car accidents and cancers. The increases have continued into 2021, according to the new analysis.

11 Likes
10 Likes

The part I don’t get, and you see it in this article, is that the opioid epidemic has severely impacted rural whites. Why aren’t local officials screaming about this to Republican leadership? They really are a death cult.

9 Likes

Cui bono?

and related:

The only thing I can think of that might apply is that people with substance abuse and addiction issues rarely get championed properly because of social and let’s face it, religious biases.

The article in Mother Jones reinforces this issue, as it addresses local prejudices as part of the reason for, say, defunding or illegalization of clean needle exchanges, health care for the affected, etc.

10 Likes
6 Likes

Yes, thanks for linking that, great, compassionate reporting of a whole nother side to all of that that we rarely hear a peep about.

Fucking corporate media.

8 Likes
6 Likes

I’m guessing it’s because they are genuinely afeared of the trans community and hate them…

4 Likes