Caitlin’s in it!

1 Like
2 Likes
6 Likes

Please definitely have your hanky close by:

9 Likes
7 Likes

There’s a lot here to unpack.
It definitely is interesting and thoughtful.

7 Likes
10 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

3k years? Today’s gotta be the day right? Gotta be!

But I feel like it’s kind of true of all the species alive today isn’t it? Like whichever ones aren’t the ones that get killed off by external factors including other members of their own species end up mostly ok until something kills another batch of them and it goes on like that so long as there’s enough of a population alive?

You can choose to see the silver lining in something like the transatlantic slave trade I guess if it comforts you personally.

But I don’t find it any more persuasive than just willfully saying “look on the bright side for the challenge” to myself though, personally.

And with the latter I don’t have to reconcile my internal coping mechanism with other people’s feelings about their own oppression as much.

3 Likes
8 Likes

From that article:

In conversation, Chemerinsky patiently outlines the problem. It boils down to this: the US constitution is not fit for purpose.

It was created in 1787 by a small group of white men who hashed out a deal in their own interests, chief among them protecting smaller states and owners of enslaved people. Those framers made foundation stones of economic and racial inequality and also erected enduring barriers to political equality including an electoral college that makes minority victory possible in presidential elections and two senators for each state regardless of population.

Sad at best that we need another reminder of what should be obvious to all.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Everything is connected.

… A number of recent studies have shown how collapsing populations of wildlife can have unexpected knock-on effects for people. In June, Frank and another researcher estimated that the collapse of India’s vulture population may have resulted in 500,000 human deaths – because without the scavenging birds to eat rotting meat, rabies and other infections proliferated.

The findings on pesticide use also echo previous research, including a study of Taylor’s. In the US, cicadas emerge en masse at intervals of 13 to 17 years. Taylor found that pesticide use increased in cicada seasons, as did infant mortality. People born in cicada years had lower test scores and were more likely to drop out of school. …

10 Likes

George Monbiot on the Gaurdian, pointing out how similar all these far-right demagogues are:

6 Likes
4 Likes

Essay in three parts:

8 Likes

Robert Putnam interviewed here. He is very direct and open.
The dialogue is so relevant.
It’s everything most of us here have been suspecting about, well, how the U.S.ians got to the here and now, politically, socially, culturally.

tl;dr=
social capital is everything (or a lot)
“find something that bonds you to people on the other side”–Putnam

I hope you get a chance to listen.
I found it refreshingly challenging to my hunkering down in my silo, etc.

5 Likes
7 Likes