Interesting video on how Apple's Face ID works

Since you can’t gave either TouchID or FaceID w/out a passcode, it’s not an either/or. And using Biometrics makes it easier to chose a long passcode, since you need ito enter it only once in a while. Before that, people left their devices open or used an easily observable short PIN.

But people can still unlock their phone primarily without having to enter the passcode. Like you said, once in a while if will prompt it. What i’m talking about is always having to enter both, this is something few will bother with. Personally i prefer not to rely on biometrics.

I doubt i will ever be in the situation that i will be compelled to unlock my phone against my will but i prefer to err on the side of caution. When the time comes that biometrics are protected i don’t see why i should use it, if others like to do so i don’t care. Not my data.

TouchID was introduced on 2013. In those four years I haven’t heard of one successful attack carried out in the wild. Up to now we haven’t seen anything better than the hack Starbug demonstrated shortly after the release. And that kind of attack has to be carried out in 5 tries - then the device locks and wants the passcode.

Same for FaceID.

Face ID is basically a super miniature Kinect. They work in pretty much the same way (and not so coincidentally, PrimeSense, the company that Apple acquired in 2013 also engineered the technology behind the original Kinect).

Wired had a great article where they tried, unsuccessfully, to defeat Face ID (and put forth a much deeper effort than iFixIt did in their video).

I have no doubt someone will figure out how to defeat Face ID, but it will be interesting to see how, and if it’s at all practical to pull off.

Oh, I see. I misunderstood there. Yes, a full two-factor process is more secure, but I doubt that this kind of security is actually needed for most people. When the state is a bad player, such will not protect you. They will break your finger or do something sufficiently worthwhile. Or they will fake evidence or just keep telling that they have such and no one will dare question them.

1 Like

You might want to take a look at them brains from Currys.

There may be other differences; but the big one is that this sensor actively projects a matrix of IR dots on the target(like the original Kinect, for reasons that involve Apple buying the company that produced that tech); so the IR camera has a cloud of reference dots to work with when trying to infer shape(I’m not sure if the scatter of dots is unique per device and the system calibrates itself against a flat surface at some point in production or if it’s an identical pattern); but having a known ‘these are the points I am projecting’ makes interpreting the points you can see easier.

Samsung’s is a camera with facial recognition software.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.