Make: a facial-recognition confounding "Opt Out Cap"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/08/face-off.html

4 Likes

That certainly beats getting fitted with a pair of second hand eyeballs.

6 Likes

The problem with this sort of solutions is it’s likely to run afoul of anti-masking laws and could potentially get you into legal trouble. That makes them less than ideal for everyday protection.

4 Likes

Unless you are the kind of civil rights protester who wants to get arrested.

5 Likes

I wonder how well unobtrusive makeup would be at messing with facial recognition software without getting flagged as “a disguise”

1 Like

i wonder if there’s such a thing as a makeup that would be invisible to the human eye, but detectable by camera, thus a way to mess up that sort of tech without the risk of running afoul of “mask” laws.

3 Likes

Hmm…say with pigments that very different in the IR spectrum. (It is my understanding that many security cameras us IR illumination at night)

7 Likes

I don’t think anyone wants to get arrested by the Hong Kong police.

“Welcome to the Hong Kong Police Processing Centre. It looks like room six is still occupied, so I’ll need you to step into Beating Room #7 please.”

3 Likes

Or with IR LEDs as demonstrated by Chinese scientists last year and covered by @doctorow here:

I thought this was a good idea, not sure why it hasn’t surfaced again.

Alternatively, you could go with a bit of bling per Maison Margiela, but it’s not an approach for the sartorially timid:

bedazzled%20fashion

7 Likes

Iron on to mosquito netting!? Cuz that’s easy.

First, mosquito netting is an alternative to what’s in the video. Second, ironing on to flimsy fabrics is fairly simple with a sheet of paper to hold everything in place. My main concern with the video and the tutorial is the lack of a photo showing the finished product in use.

1 Like

Exactly. How insane is it there’s not a single photo of this thing? Not on the video. Not in the photos on the site. Bad form.

1 Like

Is that supposed to be Xi Jinping ? There’s a way to not get noticed. (eye-roll)

2 Likes

face

6 Likes

That’s how well it works, one can’t take a photo/video of it!

3 Likes

Well, if you already have mosquito netting…

1 Like

Why does the mask look like Winnie the Pooh?

4 Likes

However, perhaps simply using a drop down mesh “sun shade” with 3 random circles would suffice?

2 Likes

yes, infra-red reflective ftw

That it literally turns you into a grandpa, demands we call this hat the “Ok Boomer”.