Ant-facial recognition tech at the Hong Kong protests was an art project

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/08/ant-facial-recognition-tech-at.html

Facial projection mapping isn’t a new thing

(slight strobing warning)

I was looking into similar technology a while back for a project myself. Those little pico projectors are one of the best things to use for a project like that student used.

For her I would suggest mounting the projector on a thin black rod or wire and enclosing it in a matte black case (with vent holes to keep it from overheating) so it can blend into the dark much easier. Maybe painting the case and mounting rod/wire with Stuart Semple’s black 3.0 paint to make it almost invisible in the dark.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Ant-facial recognition?

16 Likes

I think into the brim of a baseball cap would be a bit less obvious. also just projecting lighter and darker shades to change the apparent shape of ones face would seem a bit less likely to be noticed.

1 Like

“what are you in here for?”
“oh I’m an artist working on facial projection mapping”
“wha?”
“I made a gizmo that projects other people’s faces on yours”
“cool, uh… why?”
“it’s an art project”
“so why are you in here?”
“I let it access google and it projected a criminal’s face on mine and the cops swooped in and picked me up for a whole string of crimes I didn’t commit, but the face on my face did. We are fighting it in court of course. And my lawyers say we have a good case.”
“oh, so you’ll die of old age in here”
“yup”

2 Likes

anteater_DoGoOn

5 Likes

3 Likes

It’s also pretty obvious that the projection onto the faces isn’t coming from the device they’re wearing. So, cool art project idea, but totally fake technology.

Looks positively evil:

2 Likes

What happened to the research into dazzle makeup? I thought that looked promising and far easier to achieve than this.

Auntie! I’d recognize you anywhere!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.