Internet Archive's "Wayforward Machine" imagines web in 2046

Originally published at: Internet Archive's "Wayforward Machine" imagines web in 2046 | Boing Boing

1 Like

To be fair, it looks like a lot of the internet today… :unamused:

6 Likes

The way things are going, might be back to dial-up bulletin boards

2 Likes

The future is always Machadaynu

**Source: Clip from Look Around You, Music 2000, 2005 01 07, by Robert Popper, Peter Serafinowicz, Youtube clip posted by Rob Falcon on 2010 03 31

When ever I think of people predicting what the future is like, I think of how eerily accurate Look Around You was in 2005 in predicting what the music of the year 2000 would be like. I also hear somebody saying in a falsetto voice, “In the year 2000”, and picture Conan O’Brien in grey robes for some reason.

In this case, comedy aside, it may be correct, except it needs more popups, advertisements, and legal checkboxes and warnings.

3 Likes

Uh, this seems to suggest that more regulation of monopolies would be a bad thing.

1 Like
6 Likes

I think it is more suggesting that anti-trust law will be applied arbitrarily and that the sites that get broken up won’t necessarily be the the ones you want to be. We are seeing some of that in China where the tech companies that get interfered with are the ones that aren’t in favor with the regime.

2 Likes

I don’t know if any of you use European websites, but the latest salvo in the cookies war is “accept our cookies or pay for the privilege not to.”

I’ve even seen it on blog posts.

1 Like

This always works as a work-around for me:

https://archive.is

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.