Internet Explorer is no more

Originally published at: Internet Explorer is no more | Boing Boing

4 Likes

44 Likes

The version I saw:
Time to go

35 Likes

30 Likes

Really gone? Then what does the HTML ActiveX component connect to now?

12 Likes

Its there to give your virus scanner something to do.

19 Likes

One of us! One of us!
netscape

24 Likes

Eh. I can’t really believe it. Feels a little too familiar.

Clearly this calls for a Dramatic Video featuring a tragic death and subsequent rebirth, or something.

1 Like

41 Likes

I dont understand why Apple, Linux, Netscape, Mosaic, etc, sophistos are so desperate to dump on IE. Dont use it? Fine. But then how do you warrant a snotty opinion?

2 Likes

Product that isn’t very good – people don’t use it.
Product that isn’t very good but the company tries to push people into using anyway – people mock the hell out of it. :man_shrugging:

27 Likes

Because a lot of us remember the late 90s. At that time a lot of websites were made to be only compatible with IE, and MS encouraged this by promoting authoring tools that produced needlessly incompatible pages. Poor IE support for actual standards meant that site creators that wanted to make compatible websites often had to give up functionality or implement it twice. IE was not only installed by default on windows desktops, but aggressively re-associated itself as the default browser such that it was the path of least resistance not only for individuals but corporate IT departments to just give up and only support IE.

29 Likes

Most people developing for the web around the turn of the century despised IE for implementing incompatible proprietary versions of everything, so that you had to build stuff for the web of 5 or 10 years previously, or stuff that worked only in IE (on Windows), and even then it was buggy and incompatible with different versions of itself. And this was a deliberate strategy on the part of Microsoft.

21 Likes

Microsoft thumbed their nose at Web standards for a long time. I still get prompts on Windows asking me to make Edge my default browser. I am clicking “No” because “Hell, no” is not an option.

12 Likes

I managed corporate PCs in the 90s. If you want to talk divergence from standards, i give you Apple.

2 Likes

Let’s be honest: They all sucked, in their own unique ways.

4 Likes

What did Internet Exploder scream when Microsoft finally pushed it off the cliff?

AAAaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

6 Likes

13 Likes

Not really gone.

Which platforms will be affected when the IE11 desktop application is retired and goes out of support on June 15, 2022? ( Updated: June 13, 2022)

In scope at the time of this announcement (will be retired):

• Internet Explorer 11 desktop application delivered via the Semi-Annual Channel (SAC):
    • Windows 10 client SKUs
    • Windows 10 IoT

Out of scope at the time of this announcement (unaffected):

• Internet Explorer mode in Microsoft Edge
  • Internet Explorer platform (MSHTML/Trident), including WebOC and COM automation
  • Internet Explorer 11 desktop application on:
    • Windows 8.1
    • Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU)
    • Windows Server SAC (all versions)
    • Windows 10 IoT Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) (all versions)
    • Windows Server LTSC (all versions)
    • Windows 10 client LTSC (all versions)
    • Windows 10 China Government Edition

They, currently, say that Windows 7 with ESU and Windows 8.1 will really, really, end support in January of next year; and Win10 20H2 in May; but LTSC goes through the beginning of 2029; if Win7 ESU is anything to go by there will probably be some deeply unloved(but available if you shove some cash at your EA rep) support extension for people who are still acting shell-shocked in 2029.

9 Likes

“Microsoft’s browser is called something else now”

7 Likes