Internet of Things That Lie: the future of regulation is demonology

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Or that people lie when they tell you the thing they designed always tells the truth.

3 Likes

Deeply disgusting. Isn’t the printer toner cartridge shenanigans we’ve been seeing a foretaste of all this?

Here’s hoping there will be a range of products where internet of demonic possession won’t make financial sense. I’d love to have my things offline and dumb, except for the select few I use to go online with, that is, phones and computers…

7 Likes

I am starting to wonder if we need a Wikileaks for security vulnerabilities found through illegal reverse engineering.

5 Likes

A smart guy [once said][1]

If you get to choose the nub from which the scaffold will dangle, you get control and the power to secure yourself against attackers. If the the government, the RIAA or Monsanto chooses the nub, they get control and the power to secure themselves against you.

Those who control The Nub control The Test
[1]: http://boingboing.net/2012/08/23/civilwar.html

Cory Doctorow’s posts are always brilliant, and I wish I wasn’t so lazy as to rediscover his writings and the fact that jwz is still going strong by BoingBoing posting to Facebook, the sad shadow of my former news aggregator: Google Reader.

3 Likes

It saddens me to think that you’re consuming bOING through FB. That’s no kind of life.

If Google Reader was your cup of tea, you might like Feedly?

2 Likes

Weirdly, printer toner is about to become a lot cheaper. Epson is poised to break that market at the moment with it’s eco-tank line. Refills come in squirt bottles. The printer features a higher up-front cost, but I expect that to decline a little over time.

Now… what you can print with those printers… I dunno if Epson is going to keep giving you the quality prints you need if you’re not using Epson photo paper…

1 Like

I might, but part of the magic of Reader was the large community. Last time I checked, Feedly wasn’t anywhere close, but maybe that’s changed. ?

1 Like

No you’re right, I get my community buzz right here now.

Feedly is just for slurping in lots and lots of news and info all nicely formatted and ad-free.

ETA - I know a guy who likes TheOldReader because it mimics GR’s community. I was there for a time, and it was pretty lively.

2 Likes

Don’t fine the corporation, fine the shareholders. Let’s say 200% of share value plus you gotta give all your dividends back. You’re welcome.

2 Likes

We have to reverse-engineer the stuff. DMCA and its ilk be damned, the wikileaks-style proposed mechanism for publishing the research is a good workaround for the bureaucrats/lawyers-imposed restrictions.

In turn, it will allow modding our own electronics to lie to said bureaucrats when they come with e.g. power consumption checks that’d cripple performance if the values were adhered to.

We also need better tools, perhaps leveraging virtual reality, for visualisation of structures of decompiled code or large amounts of other data.

Don’t bet much on it. A chip connecting to The Cloud and letting you handle the device from a browser is cheaper than an on-device user interface.

The chance lies in reverse-engineering the off-the-shelf offers, and modding or replacing their guts with Arduino-class controllers with fully user-accessible, fully modifiable source code.

1 Like

Thing is when you design something, you are thinking with an Engineers point of view, which is that you are making an practical device to be used reasonable people wanting to get a task done.

You aren’t always thinking about how users will game the system. It’s why the core protocols of the Internet are so prone to hacking. Their creators just didn’t think about Chinese Hackers raiding their University networking project.

It takes some extra insight and experience to understand malicious users.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.