Interpenetrated coin art

[Permalink]

Watch: Setting up a fake gun store in NYC

Top notch work.

I love all of these on his site. I love to know if he uses a laser cutter, a water knife, or a jewelers saw and a steady hand.

But this one… Held together with glue? If it’s interlocking, how is it cut?

And what kind of coin is this?

OK. Usual question in these circumstances. Have to ask’n’all that.

Isn’t this an illegal, verging on treasonous, practice in the UK? There’s a 1971 act which would seem to suggest so (unlike in the USA where intent to defraud must be proven). Is there a later one? Who’s the house lawyer?

Not since 1981. For more details, read the small print on a coin-squashing machine.

Yeah, I remember the same discussion at Rhyl Sea Center, where they had one of those coin squashing machines.

I also like the fact the artist used two of the Welsh pound coins and only one of the English :smiley:

Those are pound coins from the UK.

As it turns out though, it was announced today that the pound coin is being redesigned, and a new 12-sided bi-metallic pound coin will be put into circulation in 2017:

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/mar/19/the-new-pound-coin-nostalgia-booster-crimebuster

This is apparently to make it harder to counterfeit, as fake pound coins have been becoming increasingly common over recent years.

I remember when the pound coin was first introduced - before then we had pound notes. The pound coin was thicker than any of the existing coins and I found out that it wouldn’t fit through the slot in the top of my piggy bank.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.