4 Likes

Man with spear in bum
Falling
Falling
Carrying a dog one handed
Nailed it
Jive time

8 Likes

My regular rotation of anxiety nightmares involves the standard “teeth falling out” and “chased while running in slow motion” kinds of things that are common around the world. But there are a few variations on the theme of “driving in Pittsburgh” that are on the playlist to ensure I don’t get bored of the images accompanying my restless sleep.

7 Likes

In Klingon it reads “drive carefully”.

11 Likes

parts of a clock face or even motorway slip roads or even parts of a buckmaster fullerene… momento

1 Like

I thought this was some kind of haiku, beatnik-poem, free verse or some kind of poetry I did not recognize. Then I figured out they were descriptions/captions for each of the intersection diagrams posted.

Title: Feelings on waking up in 2021
Help I am confused and in pain (Man with spear in bum)
Loosing control, despairing (Falling, Falling)
Trying to keep it together, maybe failing (Carrying a dog one handed)
December soon, it will be over (Nailed it)
Time to dance in celebration (Jive time)

2 Likes

Your’s is a better interpretation.

2 Likes

Holy crap, my grad school apartment (95 - 97) was down the block from “Hazelwood, Beechwood, and Brown’s Hill,” and I navigated it to get to the bus stop on Murray.

Looking at Google Maps, it looks like the Burger King near the intersection is gone.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Beechwood+Blvd,+Pittsburgh,+PA/@40.4195548,-79.9287657,17.38z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8834f1ff156528d7:0xc397766a3e70ac61!8m2!3d40.4378816!4d-79.9160806

4 Likes

Clearly, these are glyphs meant to communicate with an alien race. Just like the Nazca lines. We must prepare for the invasion of Pittsburgh…or not.

3 Likes

Given Pittsburgh’s very hilly topography, a 3-D rendering of these intersections might be even scarier.

5 Likes

The Bigelow/Herron one confused me at first since I’m used to thinking about it “hillside oriented upward” (i.e., North = Down). Particularly confusing is the little loop I thought corresponded to the pedestrian tunnel that goes under Bigelow. The loop in the illustration is actually a driveway- there’s no passage.

In related news, this is a neat chart showing which directions the streets run on average in select cities:

7 Likes

=laughs in Boston=

3 Likes

=sees you laughing a block away in Boston, has no idea how on earth to get to your location=

4 Likes

/nodding in Detroit

Yeah, we’re hip to that kinda shit…

The above is the intersection of Grand River Ave (an ancient Native trail that runs at a NW/SE angle), Trumbull Ave (mostly N & S), and Martin Luther King Blvd/Mack Ave (the divided road running mostly E & W). It also unhelpfully features poorly-timed and confusing traffic signals. It’s a couple blocks SE of my place.

A reddit reader intelligently suggests a roundabout as a solution for that tangled intersection:

5 Likes

Many of Seattle’s borked downtown intersections are the results of competing surveys and land claims by three of the city’s founders - Maynard, Boren, and Denny.

3 Likes

Such intersections must’ve inspired Feynman diagrams.

So Pittsburgh was constructed by either Norsemen or Dwarves. Interesting.

1 Like

3 Likes

I’m glad to see the intersection of 87th, Pulaski, and Southwest highway in Chicago on there. I’ve been stuck there for ages, far too often. And just for fun, a train line parallels Southwest highway too. You’re going nowhere!

1 Like

Looked thru the graphic for a “Peachtree & Peachtree;” was not disappointed

4 Likes