Interview with Boing Boing contributor Annie Rauwerda, of "Depths of Wikipedia" fame

Originally published at: Interview with Boing Boing contributor Annie Rauwerda, of "Depths of Wikipedia" fame | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Link to the interview?

4 Likes
4 Likes

From the interview:

I recently talked to a new editor who poured her heart into an article only to get all her edits reverted with little explanation. She felt crushed and misunderstood, and she told me this: “I guess Wikipedia is better off without me.” This was coming from a woman with a graduate degree, incredible writing skills, and a genuine passion for making the internet a better and smarter place!

This is why my short-lived editing stint at Wikipedia was so short-lived. I edited as a proof-reader and copy-editor (something I’d been doing for a living for a while) i.e. for clarity and accuracy of language (e.g. removing ambiguity - especially for readers whose first language was not English - something I’d also done professionally). I never made any changes to anything factual. Every edit was almost immediately reversed. Happened a couple of times (a decade or more ago) so I gave up. Never bothered trying again, even when I see egregious spelling/grammar errors.

6 Likes

'Nuther question…what is her cat’s name?

3 Likes

Interview author and lapsed BB mutant here. :wave: Annie told me the name of the cat during the interview, but it didn’t make it into the final version. It’s not my place to tell. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Monkey Reaction GIF by Justin

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.