Firefox plug-in to make Wikipedia nicer

Originally published at: Firefox plug-in to make Wikipedia nicer | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Is it compatible with legacy browsers?

7 Likes
8 Likes

Added it and already love it for the dark mode alone. Hey Boing Boing, can you add a dark mode to your site? So much easier on my eyes.

Great plugin, really improves the Wikipedia experience.

3 Likes

Ooooh…Pretty. Installed it and I like.

3 Likes

Highly recommend the Dark Reader addon for Firefox. BoingBoing is nice and dark after installation.

5 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check that out!

Nice. I’ve been using Wikiwand for a few years which does a similar thing but via their own front-end. I find it a massive improvement over the standard Wikipedia.

I have their extension which redirects me to Wikiwand whenever I view a Wikipedia article, eg: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Wikipedia

Am I alone in thinking that the standard Wiki layout is fine as is?

5 Likes

I can second, Dark Reader is a life saver.

I also recommend just always having night mode anti-blue filters on all the time, unless you’re doing something that actually requires accurate color.

3 Likes

The layout itself is fine and usable. I just hate that the default wiki styles don’t have a readability focused dark mode.

1 Like

This extension seems like little more than a wrapper around some CSS, so it shouldn’t be difficult for someone to pull out the CSS for use with a style manager extension for their legacy browser.

2 Likes

Ok, if I win the auction, I’ll give you a call.

1 Like

I tried both this and Wikiwand, and far prefer Wikiwand. But one thing I don’t like about either is that, on a desktop with a wide monitor, the article is centered, with big areas of white space on both sides. I wish I could make that go away.

Otherwise, I’m glad for both projects, and wish there were more efforts like this to improve the readability of web sites.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.