You can now select a dark color theme

We just added a feature to allow user-selectable color themes in Discourse, courtesy of @sam.

I’ve enabled this here with an alternate dark theme, which looks like

To select it, visit your user preferences:

https://bbs.boingboing.net/my/preferences

Scroll to the bottom, and select the theme there to enable it on your current device.

17 Likes

Obligatory

RIP Charlie. You were a hell of a brother.

6 Likes

Me likey very much.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m actually a big fan of this. Notifications, unread counts, etc. really pop with the dark theme!

5 Likes

if you like, you can create more themes for people to choose from in the admin area, though I find that dark and light usually suffice for 99% of people.

A lot of people prefer a dark theme though (maybe 10-20% of folks overall?), so we bumped user-selectable themes in our roadmap to this release (1.8). :dark_sunglasses:

8 Likes

Clever way to counter the people who changed their avatars to white circles.

15 Likes

Beat me by two minutes!

6 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be a thing on the mobile version?

…Okay, found it after a refresh. Sweet!

5 Likes

If you are intent on a blank avatar, make it transparent, not white.

13 Likes

Was just going to suggest that. (mine, @M_M’s, and a couple of others already are.)

7 Likes

Hmm. Generally, I’m a fan of white text on a dark background, but something isn’t resonating for me here.

Apart from what may just be unfamiliarity, there are a few things that should be tweaked:

• Title text/icons are now medium-gray on slightly-darker-gray. Maybe a bit more contrast?:

• And while the areas where the light blue is thick “pop” like you say, where they’re thin, they take a lot of effort to read:

(See the “cancel” and “You can now select” etc. in that image)

ETA: I think part of what’s bothering me is that, while the subtle blue highlighting of a post appearing looks awesome against a white background, it just doesn’t look quite right as a dark-gray-blue fading to dark-gray.

6 Likes

This is really great, it feels so much better to look at a dark page. Thank you!

1 Like

OHTHANKGODMYEYES!

Dude seriously thank you.

5 Likes

And for those who just made them partly transparent so something was still visible, they’ll vanish completely. :wink:

4 Likes

The dark theme is very awesome.

Thanks.

Still holding out for that all white theme though!

This was a real thing for about 120 seconds and I did not make it up!

6 Likes

Will this be an option for the mobile version as well?

To be clear this has been in the works for a long while, so it is definitely not a reaction to white avatars. Though transparency is always a good thing, wouldn’t you say, in all matters? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It is unique per device so it should work on any device mobile or otherwise, I am not aware of any limitations.

That is to say you could select dark on mobile and light on desktop and I dunno bone white on laptop.

11 Likes

I requested the desktop page, changed theme, and it seems to have stuck, moving back to the mobile version. Logged out, cleared cookies, and it still is dark. That may be the trick.

1 Like

If you “aren’t seeing it” you should reload the web page, refresh the page, etc.

2 Likes

The title text (thread title and thread catagory’ in the header bar is a smidge too dark. I mean I can read it but it’s one of those ‘could it be a couple shades lighter please’ things given vision issues.

Again, the dark theme itself is very nice on my eyes. Thanks for finally getting this done.

5 Likes