Introducing BBS, our new forums

Love to. How about Global Thermonuclear War?

ā€œYou know what, comments suck. Letā€™s just not have themā€

Rob: This was indeed the plan at the beginningā€¦

ā€¦then we might still go that way.

!!!

Whaā€¦? Why do comments suck? From a moderation/maintenance standpoint? Or in terms of their content and value to the site?

If itā€™s the latterā€“sorry, but thatā€™s kind of insulting to the great commenters who have participated over the years. (Not to mention the moderators.)

Not sure I like where this is goingā€“itā€™s starting to feel like this isnā€™t meant to improve comments so much as sweep them under the rug. You initially were going to get rid of them? Really?

Thereā€™s a disconnect somewhere. As a reader Iā€™ve always seen comments as a huge strength that capitalizes on a smart, funny reader-base to make the site more than just the posts themselves. Do Rob, Cory, Mark, Xena, David, Maggie, etc. see them as just distractions or hecklers?

Maybe Iā€™m in the minority, but Iā€™m just not seeing what was so broke here that required this level of ā€œfixingā€.

9 Likes

Actually, I rather miss anonymous participation, sure, people are slightly more civil now but also less frank and more guarded with their participation, not a good thing on the whole.

4 Likes

Oooh. Was that jp2a you used for the pic? I love the coloration it puts out. One of those perfectly made Unix tools IMHO.

1 Like

OK, the posting itself is good, I like the instant preview and I just edited a post with minimal effort. I still hate navigating through the comments, and just barely found my comment to reply to it.

1 Like

Oh yeah, Iā€™m simply not going to get an avatar, I hate ā€œconnectingā€ my accounts, Thatā€™s why I signed up for this as a different account rather than use my Facebook or other account.

@beschizza - I think itā€™ll be an interesting experiment. Itā€™s a totally unique approach to commenting/forum/discussion systems, and Iā€™m glad BB went out on a limb to try something novel.

Oh, this is really bugging me, every time I reply to a post I get bumped to the bottom of the page and now I have to somehow find my way back to the point where I was reading,

2 Likes

The Who Theyā€™re From bit will be important. When the astroturf gang get cracking, they come in numbers. No specific examples, but Iā€™ve wandered through BB comments thinking ā€˜how am I missing the point hereā€™, until I click.

I love the comments. Without them, no-one would ever actually read my opinions. Which are important to everyone. Especially me.

4 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree. The linearity is completely gone - I liked the fact that before I would read the comments in chronological order but still being able to follow threads. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, but this system seems unnecessarily convoluted.

2 Likes

I moved 9 posts to a new topic: Displaying full text of articles in BB topics?

This is a really good idea, I think.
But while were at it, I read the ā€œaboveā€ comment (I guess ā€œabove comment is meaningless nowā€, so is ā€œpreviousā€. Parent?, ā€œthe comment Iā€™m replying toā€?), and I had to click on the little down arrow next to it to like it, making me lose my place in the conversation, again.

But I also noticed that I could like other comments when they were replies.

Maybe its just me, I didnā€™t get much sleep last night but something funny is going on here! :smiley:

The only issue I see thus far with the new BBS system is having to scroll all the way to the bottom to enter a reply. Which for a page like this, that has 232 comments thus far, requires holding ā€œpage downā€ for a while.

Of course, this is assuming that I didnā€™t miss anything. Which, if I did, please inform me.

Otherwise, I LOVE the fact that youā€™ve incorporated a BBS into boingboing. :smiley:

It would be good to see the full text of the article rather than an excerpt at the top of threads here.
I was quite content with the rut I was in but this may be just the thing.

You donā€™t have to scroll all the way down to reply, the composer panel is an overlay so you can write a reply as you read, or even as you browse other topics. We also save drafts for you automatically per topic.

Ok, so now I just figured out how to get back to the comment I just replied to by clicking on the little arrow next to my reply post, Iā€™m still in a daze though.

In a way, it feels like Iā€™m at a party with a small group of friends and if I leave to get a drink Iā€™ll miss some of the conversation.

1 Like

Native avatars are coming soon.

Haha Iā€™m such a dope! Thanks for the heads up. :smiley:

Not at all, itā€™s not that comments suck ā€“ just that if it turns out that having the same comments on both the post and in the forums sucks, our general inclination would probably now be to keep the forums but not the on-post comments. (a la Penny Arcade)

Just logged in to see if I still have my username (I do, yay!) and to see what all the fuss is about. I never had any real issues with the old system, and I donā€™t seem to have any with this new one. In fact Iā€™m kind of fond of forums, so this feels like it could be a big win all round.