Introducing BBS, our new forums

+1 … how do I do a +1 easily ?

Press the :heart: icon under the post in question (leftmost of the icons in the lower right corner).

1 Like

I’m Ocker3 on the old system, I got an invite to login to the Beta of this, but it never successfully allowed me to login with that account, so I never used it. Can anyone send a password reset to that account? I tried via the username and the e-mail address associated with the username (the one that got the invite to the Beta), but it’s almost an hour later and nothing :frowning: I Like that username, it’s the first online username I ever used and it has a lot of history attached to it.

I think the specific thing that bugs me is that BB have said that “selected” posts will be featured on the main page. BB is yours to do with as you wish, but if the entire of an article is curated, I think that’s a massive loss. To me it’s not in the spirit of the net.
Easy fix: promise to “feature” the most liked posts, or (even better) any posts with more than n likes. Maybe you’re already doing this, in which, case, just put a promise in the FAQ!

I really hope that’s not true.

I’m surprised I figured it out… I’m an idiot about such things. This lets you paste the URL from an image storage site into the body of the comment. You can find that by looking for the image you want, and right-clicking. It should give you that info… Oh, and you can upload images as well, using the button on the thing there…

And that’s “Mrs”, not mister. :wink:

Of course you’re being sarcastic, aren’t you? :wink:

BoingBoing has always been a quick source for intelligent topics which then spawn intelligent conversation. By using this type of system, you’ve separated the two. No longer can I click on an article and have both the topic and the conversation; the two are permanently separated unless I am only interested in a delayed, curated (biased) selection of top comments.

Consider sites like Ars Technica: you click on an article, you get the full story, and even if you have to click again to show comments, you see all of them below the original article. You aren’t taken away to some strange place away from the stories that brought you there.

Consider sites like FARK.com: you view the front page and can immediately see what articles are worth discussing based on the comment count on the right. That comment count reflects total discussion and is reflective of the community’s interest in a given article.

BoingBoing’s new system forces me to make a “leap of faith” to leave the article and go to your forum for discussion all without knowing whether or not that’s worth my time. Please find a way to reduce the jump away from your main page (Ars Technica-style commenting below the article using a forum) while also informing your users if that jump is worthwhile (comment count on every site that allows them). Finally, get rid of that curated bullshit; it’s not a discussion if your reply gets delayed by an arbitrary system. Show all the comments and, if anything, use voting as a moderating tool (after x number of downvotes, flag post for review instead of after y number of upvotes, show reply to the world).

6 Likes

I will be avoiding the main BB site entirely, and just coming here.

After all, it has a list of BB articles, AND it has all the comments.

1 Like

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Okay, I wanted to try this thing on an actual computer before saying anything. But it’s actually worse on Firefox than on Chrome on my phone.

I don’t think DIscourse is usable at the moment.

First, it’s sloooow. I keep seeing the Firefox “Slow script, stop it or continue” dialogue, and I’ve just had to wait two minutes for the cancel post button to work – it never did; I killed the page and started over.

Second: I can’t follow a thread. I can’t follow a thread. I like the “show replies” dropdown, but sometimes it decorates the replies with like buttons and their own “show replies” dropdown … and mostly it doesn’t. I always get the “go to reply” arrow, but if I click that so I can like a reply and see the replies to that reply I can’t get back.

I’m sure that you will sort all this out, but hopefully you can see these are critical-level bugs.

2 Likes

Okay, question about articles that contain a “Star the discussion at bbs.boingboing.net” (e.g. http://boingboing.net/2013/06/28/how-could-a-drone-help-a-deer.html): when I click the “Start the discussion” button it just brings me back to the article, i.e. doesn’t link to bbs.boingboing.net.

So I manually go to bbs.boingboing.net and see nothing about the drone-helping-a-deer article. Does this mean I’m supposed to start the thread myself?

it also raises the issue of whether or not mutants will go to the original site. with the all-in-one option of articles and boards here, where’s the incentive?

not sure how that would affect hits/ad revenue/whatever.

2 Likes

You go, girl!

1 Like

This is obviously a massive conspiracy to keep my wisdom from reaching the people.

1 Like

I like it. I’m sure there was a lot of work put into this. I appreciate it and I hope to be considered a good contributor.

Just a note that the links to the BBS in recent articles are broken: they point back to www instead of BBS.

But: thanks for the retro of using BBS! I can hear the 300 baud modem sounds…

This.

Also, no-one but Bucanneer will ever read this comment, since to do so would involve clicking on the original comment, showing the replies, picking the comment that Bucanneer replied to and jumping to that, showing the replies, clicking on Bucaneer’s comment and jumping to that, then showing the replies.

Of course they might chance upon it by just scrolling down, but it wouldn’t make any sense.

So the posts exist in the stream, and in the “In reply” dropdown: they’re duplicated. But you can’t perform any functions (e.g. reply) to the posts in the “In reply” dropdown. I really dislike this layout.

2 Likes
1 Like

Wheel (n): A device which is so popular that everyone wants to invent their own version.

There are times when it’s legitimate to do so – a tire is not a circular saw is not a gear, and they do need to be optimized differently. But we spend so darned much time and effort reinventing rather than learning from past solutions…

1 Like