Inventive students detach IoT car-immobilizers, use their SIMs to power free wifi hotspots

The identity tracking supposition; using say IP or internet traffic, is easily evaded via a VPN. I agree that the SIM itself being traceable via the cell tower it uses to connect is more troublesome. I suppose however if you live in a high density living situation (say a college dorm) and/or leave the hotspot in a public area, you’d have plausible deniability.

Alternatively, bicycles. I don’t think I ever set foot on a bus (the only public transport where I studied) while I was a student.

Remember, this is a university that requires all its undergrads to live in a 3-mile radius of a central point. All the university buildings are within that radius- the most distant ones I can find are less than 5 miles apart as the crow flies, and a half-hour cycle ride according to Google (17 minutes by car, 50 by bus). Most are much closer- most students live within a mile or at most two of anywhere they need to go for classes.

(Yes, there are edge cases. A friend couldn’t ride a bicycle because of disability, and also didn’t have a driving licence. When she had a class a couple of miles from where she lived, the university paid for taxis.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.