Investment planning for the coming apocalypse šŸ’ø

Interesting article on planning, popular destinations, and cost of living:

5 Likes

Iā€™m only half joking when I say that lately Iā€™ve thought about storing some of my money in the form of 2x4s.

4 Likes

Wood prices are increasing. Fires, distribution costs, labor, etc. You wouldnā€™t be wrong.

2 Likes

Invest in something you know and can use.

Toilet paper and scotch.

4 Likes

Next year in Portugal?

4 Likes

Iā€™m thinking 2022. Cruises might take longer to bounce back than other forms of travel. The attempts to resume voyages this year have led to outbreaks. It looks like some investors are hunting for bargains in that sector, but I wouldnā€™t take the risk until an effective vaccine is developed and distributed.

2 Likes

I put money into that ETF 10 or 11 years ago, thinking along the same lines, and it went south and stayed there. Stuck with it but it only broke even (for me) this year.

2 Likes

Well, shit. Looks like I may have a call to makeā€¦

2 Likes

Bookmarked that. Thanks!

Past time I picked up a copy of some language software.

3 Likes

NĆ£o hĆ” de que. Iā€™ve used Duolingo, but strategies from Gabriel Wyner really helped me save time and focus on working with my brain instead of against it. I wish the many instructors Iā€™ve had over the years had used a fraction of the techniques in his book, Fluent Forever:

5 Likes

Only use I have for scotch would be to trade it for more 2x4s.

I wonder how many people are investing in various forms of contraband as a way to protect assets against devaluation?

1 Like

I respectfully respond that I canā€™t drink a 2X4.

5 Likes

Well I canā€™t drink scotch. (Okay, fine, I can, but why would I?)

But Iā€™ll gladly trade you a fifth of Glenfiddich 12 for a fifth of Bulleit and a few pounds of good quality wood screws.

2 Likes

I have no bourbon- but I do have a framing gun. And Hendrickā€™s.

7 Likes

FWIW ā€“ and at this point I should qualify that, at a fundamental level, I really donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing* ā€“ the two investments I made around that time that have held up are AMAGX and LPT (now PLD). (This was after our 2nd kid was born and we set all these up in a college account.) There are some PAX World funds in there, too ā€“ but if theyā€™ve done all right since the Great Recession, Iā€™m not certain the same could be said if I picked a random date in the meantime and tracked it from there.

*I had Economics class in 12th grade andā€¦ thatā€™s about it. (And the big takeaway from that class was to invest in bars of silver.)

3 Likes

Me, neither. Thatā€™s why a few years ago I found someone to do it for me and put all my retirement savings with them.
If I make money, they make money, so I typically just go along with their suggestions, and itā€™s been working out better than I was doing on my own, even accounting for the fees. I have it set up with a fairly low risk tolerance and long-term timeline (10-20 years) before Iā€™ll really need it, but some liquid in case something comes up. I feel amazingly lucky to even have money set aside, as I never really thought Iā€™d get here, so even if I just donā€™t lose money Iā€™m pretty happy.
But thanks for those other suggestions. Maybe on our next call Iā€™ll impress them with my savvy :wink:

1 Like

The reasons this firm is closing (detailed in the last half of the article) are great points to consider when researching investment firms and strategies:

2 Likes

Iā€™m noticing lots of advisors pushing consumer staples and green bonds because of the election volatility mentioned below, combined with the pandemic:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/investing/green-bonds-climate-crisis-coronavirus/index.html

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.