IoT vendor objects to "rude" review, renders complainer's device inoperable

We don’t allow that word on tv at all, at any time, in the US.

Violence is okay though.

2 Likes

And what happens if there is an Internet outage? Would this thing fail in exactly the same way as being ban-hammered from their server?

1 Like

Can you cancel the order?

Centrifugal brewers have been around for decades; Bosch sold one over 30 years ago, Jericho had one before that. The Bosch wasn’t terrible but it also couldn’t really maintain consistent pressure and there were too many moving parts that had to be kept lightweight for reliability. Too much plastic inside, always a bad idea at espresso brewing temps.

That said, $300 is a very low price for a superauto. Even the Bosch as sold at a clearance discount by Gloria Jeans was $200 in late 1980s dollars, and had no grinder. Unless they are going to DRM the coffee beans and get you that way, I don’t see how they sell you anything of any quality for so little. (Illy used a similar model a few years back, you subscribed to their coffee for a year and they sold you a decent espresso machine at an impossible price.)

1 Like

I can cancel, at least according to the contract. There’s also a 45 day NQA return policy after it arrives. But of course that’s dependent on the company being successful.

I’m really curious about the technology - I was unaware of the Bosch, and I’ll look in to that - thanks for the tip. There’s no DRM’d coffee requirement or subscription service that I’m aware of - the claim is that it can use any coffee you like, though they do offer a coffee subscription option that is integrated somehow to the machine.

Anyway, for me $300 is not a big risk and since it’s a pre-order not a Kickstarter, I have a little more legal protection and backing by the CC. So I’m willing to take a little risk to see what her this machine is the holy grail of coffee makers or really just another piece of overhyped “new” technology that is actually going to suck or break down quickly.

Supposedly the full retail price is $600 and the ore-order price is $300. That may be hype too, but increasingly I think companies are doing loss leaders (or at least pricing at cost) to get it in to the hands of early adopters who can make or break a product with reviews.

1 Like

Or NOT opening the door. I would frequently go for walks, leave the house locked, and rather than carry my custodian level key chain, just tote the garage fob.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.