iPhone killer dead in water

It helps even less that one of the more exciting features was “doesn’t cruft up Android too horribly”; a strategy that those who wish to adopt can match fairly easily(probably just by using their pre-hackjob base image, flashed to the same hardware they already sell, in whatever quantity they deem suitable, so an easy and low risk thing to do); and those who don’t are pushing their hideous ‘ecosystem’(hey Samsung!) or getting paid to add carrier and other malware(Blu, most cheap 'n awful prepaid handsets).

3 Likes

Phone dead in killer water
never saw the wave
Alas, the last thing it saw.

5 Likes

Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.

-------------------------------------------?

I imagine most handsets were sold unlocked and direct from Essential.

And me.

I didn’t get the iPhone until someone showed me a web page with art on it, but I attribute that to me being slow.

I just want a better pocket computer.

1 Like

Something like the Nokia N810, but with a decent processor, would be great.

1 Like

Dumb question, but who was pining for a “better phone”

don’t think that’s a dumb question at all. Rather, I think that we do want better communication tech, but don’t know it, or necessarily have a standard to gauge it by with mobile. Cell phones are terrible at being telephones when compared to what landlines, (a well over 100 year technology), are capable of.

My strong suspicion is that the shift to non-voice modes, i.e. SMS, social media chat, etc. is in no small part being driven by the annoying aspects of cell voice transmission quality. The efforts described in the linked article seem like a good direction, but I fear that if only expanded bandwidth is the goal, it may not address what could be the deeper and more endemic problem, the huge latency/delay issues, that almost subliminal conversation wrecker that makes us all into stuttering interrupters, disrupting subtle natural conversational rhythm and timing ques.

My hat is off to any phone company that can solve that problem.

1 Like

So long as it has a decent painting application, I’m good.

Lol. Investors suffering FOMO.

Can $3.5m in sales sustain a billion-dollar unicorn?

4 Likes

A prime example that occurs to me is the wristwatch arena. Virtually all of them conform to one of a handful of styles, most of which are chunky. If you want something impressively sleek (and more importantly, that doesn’t foul your sleeve) like a Swatch Skin or a Rado, your options are a Swatch Skin or a Rado, or… um.

Who needs engineers when you have marketers, huh.

2 Likes

Speed-of-light and processing delay aren’t going away anytime soon; physics is a bastard like that. I highly doubt that the next big thing is going to be entangling photons to talk to orbit ^^’ .

2 Likes

Blockquote Speed-of-light and processing delay aren’t going away anytime soon; physics is a bastard like that.

… sure, would never think of suggesting unlawful behavior! According to sources, relativity dictates that there’s a baseline .134 sec delay for a round trip communication from a point opposite ones location on earth. I couldn’t find exact figures for POTS (some say 10ms, a photons round-the-world time of flight), but it is widely agreed that cell quality is pretty bad in this area. (and getting worse, (couldn’t find that link - but it was talking about streaming video demands causing causing downward pressure resluting in the cell providers lowering call-quality guarantee (QoS) thresholds)).

… but yeah, I understand and agree that the engineering issues are wildly different in radio and heterogeneous network based comms. My comments are directed at the economic/sociological layer of the thing and how it’s affecting us culturally.

The part I find interestingly troublesome is it is a meta-problem - in that things like this asynchrony seem hard for us to be aware of - (as to the existence of their effects), due to their nature. But lack of perceived awareness isn’t lack of effect. We tend to blame ourselves rather than the infrastructure for the socially awkward stumbles, and comprehensive difficulties, and just forgo the medium, (or at least the role it once had in human contact), resulting in positively feeding back the infrastructural degradation.

Unless there was were some total sucker investors who bought some bullshit, there wasn’t a single person who actually thought this would or could be an iPhone killer based on what was known about it, before or after they revealed it. It was just too samey.

There were a lot of people who hoped against hope that it would be an iPhone killer, and there were a few people who were desperately talking it up in forums as an iPhone killer because they hoped for that, but those are very different things.

The Nokia 3310 rerelease is being updated to run on 3G networks.

1 Like

?

Your numbers are wrong.

Globally, iOS has 15% and Android 85%. And Samsung (the market leader in Android phones runs Android.

What’s your point?

Ease of use advantage?

The ipod stole Creative’s (remember them? Also made soundcards … ) UI:

As for storage capacity … in 2000 (almost 2 years before the iPod was first released [okt 2001]) there was a Creative Nomad with 6 gigs of storage (the ipod came in 5 or 10 gig versions).

As for Essential?

Yeah … interesting phone, but no essential features. Doesn’t even seem to have an IR blaster!

You never used a later PalmPilot or Handspring, I see. Or even an XDA.

iOS/iPhone sold for two reasons: because it was hyped very, very well. And it was an inferior product in every way, really … except the fact that the UI was simple. I call it a FisherPriceOS because everyone can learn it. But try to do something more complex and it falls down.

1 Like

Uh … nah.

Cell quality in the rest of the world and between the rest of the world is … good enough. An occasional echo, or a delay does not prevent communication.

To be honest, it is incredibly surprising cellular phones even work if you see the patchwork, hacked together systems they run on. Every country has their own companies operating there and they all have their own HLR, their own agreements between companies operating in that country. And then they ALL have to have agreements between ALL the companies in ALL the countries to get global coverage! It’s insane! And it still runs on that POS SS7!!!

What you’re talking about is a human problem which cannot be solved by tech. Humans have to make the decision it is not good to drop everything mid-conversation when they get a meaningless whatsapp/sms. Humans have to accept an async medium (messaging) implies delayed replies for the sake of actual synchronous human interaction.

You say we blame ourselves for that? We should!

1 Like

Yes and no.

It is a better phone than the newer iPhones.

Which does not mean they are Iphone Killers, as that necessitates countering the hype/glow of Apple … which even though it is fading fast since Jobs’ reality distortion field is gone, is still in effect.