Phones without headphone jacks suck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/27/3-5mm-or-bust.html

7 Likes

Same goes for phones without SD card slots or removable batteries. When I’ve needed a new phone I’d buy an older model (2-3 years behind the current one) to keep these features. I’m resigned to the fact that the next phone I buy in this way will likely be the last that has them.

27 Likes

As a recent “convert” I can attest to this, and second it, and cry it out loud to the world! I made the further mistake of buying a cheap pair of bluetooth ear buds and only made my situation worse. Now I’m wallowing in my own misery, refusing to upgrade the ear buds so I can get to know hell on an intimate level. Happy holidays everyone!

11 Likes

Why buy the Pixel then? Could’ve bought a current phone with the jack. I have the S8+ and it’s great

9 Likes

THIS.

It makes zero sense to have removed the headphone jack in the first place…but not having a replaceable battery and a slot for a microSD card for expansion is just plain assholish in nature.

Honestly though, as bad as Apple and others are with forcing cell phones to be essentially disposable devices; everything is getting that way…all sorts of appliances are being manufactured in a way that if it breaks the solution is “Throw it out and buy a new one”. Its freaking disgusting.

21 Likes

I am a big fan of my LG v20. Removable battery, SD card, and an IR blaster (which comes in super handy when remotes go missing or turning off obnoxious TVs in public).

12 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/27/3-5mm-or-bust-2.html

3 Likes

Maybe the onus should be on headphone manufacturers to include cables with USB-C now…

That. Would be even worse.

15 Likes

At least Android users have some choice in this matter. Problem is that the headphone jack is treated as a poverty option now so you have to buy a phone that is compromised in other ways (no storage, slow CPU, too little memory, manufacturer abandons the phone after 6 months and stops releasing security updates) to avoid the dongle headaches.

3 Likes

You don’t need dongles, or annoying cables, if you use bluetooth headsets…

3 Likes

Bluetooth saps my battery and does not function well in the vicinity of law enforcement stinger towers (ask me how I know!). I require a hard-cable option.

24 Likes

This kind of bullshit is exactly why I’m eyeballing the Librem 5 phone, due out in a few months. I hope it pans out.

3 Likes

These are the reasons i’m still rocking a galaxy S5. I have a new battery on order for it as the original is starting to show it’s age now. I have recently started using a pair of Marly bluetooth headphones though but they do come with an audio cable for when the headphones battery runs low which is handy.

4 Likes

BT also will never sound as good as a wired jack and prevents you from easily playing your music in say an Uber with an aux wire or other non-pairing situations.

10 Likes

Iphone 6s FTW. I just backrevisioned after a 7 died and I’ll keep buying refurbs as long as possible. There is no feature on a newer iphone that makes up for the lack of headphone jack. To be honest, I’m really surprised someone as open sourcy/technowise as Cory would have ever bought a BT only device.

4 Likes

17 Likes

I would love to get a phone like that, but there are apps that I absolutely need for work that would probably never be available on there :frowning:

1 Like

I am a big fan of my LG v20.

It’s the last of its kind though - the last flagship with a removable battery, and one of the last with a headphone jack. I’ve had one for a couple years now and love it, but it will break eventually. I’m thinking of hoarding some of the NOS units that are available on ebay before they’re all gone.

3 Likes

And now I’m just just waiting for “this phone has detected a bluetooth headset that is not licensed to work with this device”

12 Likes