Iranian government unveils finger-amputating machine for punishing "thieves"

There were 60 comments regarding this post and some of them were critical of Boing Boing’s publishing it at all. Boing Boing now offers readers the shortcut to "the best " of the 60 comments but this “best” list contains none of the posts that were critical of Boing Boing itself. This is both limp and disappointing.

Hardly exclusive to religious fundamentalists, sadly. Godless communist goverments have been known for draconian sentencing practices too.

Yes, I’m taking this with a grain of salt.

BB is not a news site. No matter how many times people, such as yourself, randomly come here to criticize the quality of the “news reporting” on this site, it doesn’t change the essence of BB, which is a blog full of postings that the editors find interesting and they graciously allow us to comment upon. If you want to read journalistic writings from Cory, you’d be better off going over to The Guardian.

1 Like

Thank you for your response IronEdithKidd but as a person who has read BB at least daily for many years, I find your response to be rude and presumptuous. I think that the response is also naïve because I am sure that I am not alone in reading BB as a source of credible and “independent” news. After all BB does state that “the site’s writers/editors are career journalists who have contributed to the New York Times, Washington Post, Wired, Scientific American, NPR, CNN, and many other news outlets”.

With its millions of readers, BB does have responsibilities and I would repeat my assertion that to post the item on the Iranian amputation machine as a fact was irresponsible. The photos etc are a fabrication I believe. Simply using the word “appears” to show the machine etc would have been a more responsible thing for a “career” journalist to write.

There are many things in this story that do not pass the smell test. If you google this you can see that a lot of ink has been spilled on this story but it all rolls up to a single source. This was a public event, but there are no photos from the public to be found. This might blow your mind but Iranians carry cell phones. I’m sure that if something like this were to happen in downtown Shiraz there would be some cell phone photos of this somewhere. It’s not as if this kind of thing happens everyday. Again, if it did there would be photos, which there are not.

1 Like

I agree Mark. The single source that the reports are based on is purported
to be the Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA) but in a search of their
archives for two months prior to it being cited as the “source”, no such
article or images appear. I am convinced that the story and images are
fabrications. Thank you Mark.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.