IRS launches crackdown on rich tax evaders

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/01/irs-launches-crackdown-on-rich-tax-evaders.html

14 Likes

Checks date: 2024-03-01!
I thought I had lost a full month, and this was an April Fool.

13 Likes

It’s a start.

27 Likes

How long until a new conspiracy theory about the IRS forming it’s own armed force to come after hard working Americans?

14 Likes

Don’t be silly… They already believed that.

19 Likes

Oh I know. I just meant this should spark a new version of that.

8 Likes

(holds head) ¨I hear the sound of a hundred thousand political campaign contributions being threatened, all at once!¨

9 Likes

THIS! is why the GOP wants to cut the IRS budget.

5 Likes

It’s one thing to say they’re doing this, but in the past, the IRS fell at the first hurdles - being overly accepting of tax-avoidance strategies (even when they weren’t entirely… legal) and avoiding any sort of legal conflicts. Without the required operating funds, of which the Republicans have been starving the IRS, I fear it’s going to turn into: “As we’ve been instructed, we’ve identified these millionaires who aren’t paying taxes. Are we going to collect those taxes? Hell no, we don’t have the money for the complicated forensic accounting required to untangle their finances, much less to fight their lawyers if we did.”

4 Likes

star wars GIF

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.