Is it OK to torture a robot?

Getting things done? Instead of empty talking?

Edit: also, isn’t the few representing the whole also called “representative democracy”?

I didn’t start that way. A quarter century of that crap did the work gradually. Try to keep a positive outlook under such conditions.

If you are far enough right on the Gauss curve. you will be surrounded by stupid people. You cannot wish that away.

I challenge you to stay positive and cheerful and people-loving when in effective isolation for pretty much all the life, which gets worse when you go out and try to interact.

Apparently, in said grand scheme of things, what happened to the characters in the newest episode of an infinite telenovel the evening before is much more important than the chemistry and physics that holds the reality together. Do I get it?

I am asking that increasingly too.

I noticed.

My instincts fail. Am I still supposed to love this style of communication and like that people insist on it and refuse to try to accommodate me?

Fun?

Make some money, if possible, while having fun. Change some game rules, irritate some philosophers and emptytalkers.

Where’s the success, please? All I saw was a lot of handwaving and poorly formed hypotheses.

If said other people want them, who am I to deny them? Especially if they’d pay?

Working on that.

The fellow citizens won’t get me laid, I won’t care about their collective will that’s mostly based on precious feelings anyway. Fair deal. I won’t go out killing them. That must be enough for them.

1 Like

This is the problem. Your lack of respect. This. Not your views, but your lack of respect.

6 Likes

Why should I respect lack of knowledge coupled with abundance of feelies?

That’s what got us the TSA, together with other annoyances.

2 Likes

Because philosophy isn’t about “feelies”, it’s a form of knowledge. Just because you don’t care about it or think it’s important, doesn’t mean it isn’t. People work long and hard on their work and they do contribute to the sum of human knowledge. Like or don’t, this is a fact of life.

And yes, feelings and emotions matter, because you just can’t engineer your way of out everything. Again, just because you have different views on such things, doesn’t give you the right to malign other human beings.

Once again, you’re showing a lack of respect, not to some abstract category, but to other human beings who you interact with right here on this board. You and I are not occasional commenters, but are regular ones. And you consistently and regularly act with disregard to a fair number of your fellow happy mutants in this regard. It’s not too much trouble,I think to ask you to treat us with the respect that you ask for.

What got us the TSA were radicals flying planes into buildings and the US government taking advantage of that to crack down on traveling… Also, low pay.

7 Likes

Looks to me mostly as a combination of poor methodology that often arrives to wrong conclusions (and then becomes the classic that nobody questions and holds development back for decades if not centuries - Aristoteles, I am looking at YOU!), and rationalizations of one’s own worldview. Whatever you think, there is a smorgasbord of Big Names that can bolster you.

Working hard on something doesn’t mean getting it right. You can spend an entire life blowing cigarette smoke into water and you’ll still fail making gold that way.

They are grossly overrated and way too often put first instead of being kept in a supplementary role, restrained, and prevented from doing more harm than good.

What got us TSA was the grossly irrational, feelings-based fear response to a statistical non-threat.

More people likely die on the roads than they would from terrorism if there was less “security” (though given that over 90% of simulated threats gets through in tests I doubt just dumping them would make it any significantly less). Because the annoyance of driving often became less than of flying. Then you get the way higher per mile mortality on the roads vs in air, even if the latter gets inflated with fictional attacks.

Feelings-based response is at the root of this kabuki and of many other idiotic annoyances. All else you listed are just the symptoms.

All because the plebes cannot handle simple probabilities and insist on feeling scared by something less likely than being hit by a lightning.

And that, inter alia, I am supposed to respect.

You’re focusing on the phrase “stupid people” instead of the word “problem” from the same sentence. The “problem” is your ability to deal with them. People are going to be however they are, regardless of your attitude towards them or your interaction with them.

You can either be irritated and angry at them or roll with it and just accept how people are and make peace with it.

This applies to most suffering in life. I have a deabilitating back injury, as of three years ago now. In a different career, I’d be disabled. Luckily, I’m a knowledge worker so I can work around it. I hurt every goddamn day in a significant way. I can despair about it. I can get mad about it. Neither of those will change the pain I feel. The only thing I can control is my reaction to it. Suffering doesn’t come from pain but from our reaction to pain. Your suffering from your interactions with other people is and has become a choice on your part. You make that choice every day. That doesn’t mean making a different choice will be easy for you but it is still a choice you make.

I didn’t say it would be easy but it is as it is. You can either adapt to your situation and relationships (or lack thereof) with people or you can choose to be angry about it. The people will be the same either way.

Whether you love it or not, it is the way it is.

The law says otherwise. You can choose to ignore the laws of your land but there may be an associated cost to doing so.

3 Likes

Why should we respect hyperrationality combined with inflexibility with no accommodation to human feeling?

She’s right.

3 Likes

When you are around people, try to interact with them the way they want to be interacted with. Don’t tell them (or imply) that you’re the smartest person in the room and they’re stupid and irritating to you.

If you keep doing the same thing over and over again for years and you keep getting the same result, why not think like a scientist and change one of the variables to see if that makes a difference?

5 Likes

Is it reasonable to imagine there’s a connection between a lack of interest in other people’s feelings and emotions, and a lack of relationship success?

7 Likes

Seriously.

Step 1: I think you’re worthless, now have sex with me.
Step 2: Oh, you won’t do that? People are stupid.

5 Likes

Are you an MRA?

4 Likes

To you. Doesn’t mean it’s correct. the point of philosophy is not always to come to clear conclusions. Hence, dialecticals. You aren’t the one who gets to decide for the rest of us what is or isn’t a worthwhile contribution to society.

Who are you to judge if it’s right?

It was government exploitation of fear.

And only focusing on logic does the same thing.

Actually, when another human being is on the other side of the argument, that would be helpful, yes. Calling people “know-nothings” is a personal attack and has jack to do with anything. It’s merely insulting and does nothing to make the other person want to interact and try to work out differences.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Mostly maddeningly boring.

I tried. It worked for a while, then the effect got worn off.

Ouch. Had some painful episodes with numerous teeth issues and a broken bone. Sucks. Pharmaceuticals help, though, whether official or “illicit”. Electronic methods like TENS or direct neural stimulation may also be of use.

A law that tells me that I can not keep a stash of painkillers is a law that would be respectable in a world with no chance of a slipped disc or a tooth abscess, and where doctors are always available in minutes. Another thing that we got because of the plebes.

So effectively I make a choice to feel thirsty when water is not available for a prolonged period? Weird.

Nice in theory. Less well working in practice.

And I got bitter over the years. It is also the way it is.

If you respect the laws, you didn’t watch enough of C-SPAN or local equivalent.

Because it makes more sense and yields better long term results?

I just cannot remember the phonebooks worth of gossips and current bits of pop culture and all the names and relations that do not have any intrinsic sense to bind them together. This requires orders of magnitude of rote memory than what I ever had.

Tried. Did not work. And I did not enjoy studying the data.

I changed a lot of variables, all I could. All boils down to inability to remember irrelevant crap (secondary) and to do nonverbal comm in real time (primary). These won’t budge.

I get it. Useless talking then.

I work with the infrastructure that keeps modern society working. Engineers were around for much less time than philosophers and managed to do orders of magnitude more.

Experimental testing is the final arbiter. Untestable claims are usually quite worthless.

If the plebes weren’t afraid of non-threats, there would be nothing to exploit. Government is not the cause, it is the symptom.

Except that it works far better. And makes sense.

Usually they have just feelings about the issue, especially when it is even just a little technical, and no real knowledge. You cannot get those to think. Usually they aren’t even capable to process the information.

The answer to the nature of the consciousness won’t come from philosophers. That route was tried with no success for millenia. My bet is on neuromethods.

Mark my words.

Life is too short to read philosophers.

Forensic material engineering is finished, to medicinal gases we go. Will be more handy than Kant and its ilk.

No, you make a choice to be angry, annoyed, upset or whatever about being thirsty. Either way, you’re still thirsty and, if there is no water, you can’t fix that. You can change how you react to it though.

Bitter is a choice.

On a practical level, it doesn’t matter if you respect the laws or not. You live in your country and it has laws. You can follow them or not but if you don’t, then you should be prepared for what happens if you get caught breaking them. You don’t have the option of breaking the law without consequences, assuming someone notices, and you don’t have the option to live without laws.

So why not spend your time with people where it is less of an issue? I work in engineering. At least 20-40% of my peers have some degree of Asperger’s or Autism (now considered to be part of the same overall disorder). They tend to be pretty tolerant of aspie engineer’s. The same goes for the science fiction and gaming fans that I hang out with. Find a peer group of people like you. You’re an engineer. There are engineer clubs, hackerspaces, and so forth.

or they’re just untestable…

Says a man who doesn’t bother and doesn’t want to…I think you’re supporting your own prejudices here.

4 Likes

I understand that @shaddack isn’t the easiest person to communicate with but this sort of phrasing may well have a lot to do with his frustration with “philosophers”, i.e. endless word splitting and refusal to speak in plain words as opposed to obfuscations.

You and I have had similar disagreements in the past where you have refused to respect opinions that clash with your philosophical view, specifically in regards to the matter of Arab terrorism, they very thing you chose to obfuscate with your words quoted above.

Certainly those who prefer results and facts could stand to listen to feelings more but OTOH the what-if/my feelings/“let us consider this from an x-ist point of view” folks could also due to handle acualities a bit more.

1 Like

I’d suggest you read some Stoicism, specifically Senecca’s letters. You might actually like it and he has a lot to say about working with what life gives us.

1 Like

The 9/11 hijackers weren’t terrorists or are you saying that they aren’t “radicals” as she said?

1 Like

Q. Is it OK to torture a robot?

A. Depends. Is his name Shaddack?

10 Likes