Is New Haven the best pizza city?

Sally’s sold out!

3 Likes

Well, after Flo passed away, the family literally sold Sally’s, so… they are still involved, and the quality is still there… and they haven’t updated the inside of the original location…

3 Likes

Just had it. No words. Sucked it down like a mangione on a bender.

5 Likes

No.

2 Likes

It’s definitely better in the Bronx.

New Haven’s not the best city at anything. Yale brings the ratings down.

2 Likes

I had a similar reaction with BBQ after moving to Kansas City after having grown up in Texas. I always thought Texas had the best BBQ. Then I tried Gates and Jackstack and Joe’s, and basically thought, “Well shit. This really is the best BBQ.”

New Haven resident when in college here, btw.

My opinion is that Pepe’s and Sally’s have been both coasting on their reputations a bit since the aughts at least. Bar is my favorite in town.

I don’t think many/most of the Pepe’s out-of-city locations are great, ranging from passable-but-not-really-apizz (Fairfield CT) to what-the-heck (Yonkers NY). But I’ve also been to the West Hartford location twice and it was right both times! Good meals.

Sally’s has a location in Stamford CT nowadays too, opened during the pandemic. I’ve been inside but it was just to acquaint the Jersey-raised friend I had along with birch beer, we didn’t get any food. It looked plausibly good though I see mixed reviews.

Oh, and Zuppardi’s is quite good. Really interesting what they do there as they only have commodity gas ovens, not the coal-fired ovens the style usually demands!

1 Like

Hey, CT person here. Don’t forget Connecticut-style lobster rolls and the birthplace of the hamburger (Louie’s Lunch), thank you very much. Don’t get so down on yourself. Not to mention some upper-crust casseroles I can’t think of. We got game.

Yeah, I was mostly joking. Lots of great food, including plenty of breweries and wineries. The seafood in particular; I lived down the road from a place called Westfair Fish & Chips, who made great lobster rolls, both styles. And CT has some beautiful state parks.

Can I get you to elaborate on this? I’m curious about what makes an 1895 burger different.

The Louis’ Lunch menu consists of “The Burger,”[11] potato salad, potato chips, and homemade pie.[12] Louis’ Lunch makes their hamburger sandwiches from ground steak made from a blend of five cuts of beef.[3] The hamburgers are then flame broiled vertically. The hamburgers are prepared with cheese, tomato or onion,[3] then served on two square pieces of toasted white bread.[3][13]

Louis’ Lunch flame broils the hamburgers in the original cast iron vertical gas broilers[14] manufactured by the Bridge and Beach, Co., St. Louis, Missouri, in 1898.[15][16][17] The stoves[18] use hinged steel wire gridirons[19] to hold the hamburgers in place while they cook simultaneously on both sides. The gridirons were made by Luigi Pieragostini and patented in 1938.[20][21][22] A sharp cheese spread is used, as opposed to sliced cheese.[23] The restaurant uses a 1929 Savory Radiant Gas Toaster.[24]

1 Like

nChicago

They serve it on toasted bread slices and its pretty much chopped beef.

Like Boston, New Haven had a significant Italian-American population, which may explain its role in the development of pizza in the US. They also claim to have the first hamburger in the US:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.