Irish people have a very strange understanding of "pizza"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/07/irish-people-have-a-very-stran.html

6 Likes

Irish style pizza…

Coming soon to a “fusion” restaurant near you.

Anyone for a bacon and cabbage pizza?

:pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

10 Likes

Irish people have a very strange understanding of “pizza”

Isn’t that what Italians say about Americans? :wink:

27 Likes

And Chinese of American Chinese food.
And the French at times disparage our French Fries and French Toast.

8 Likes

I recall that Dutch pizza seemed to come with peas and corn on it… :thinking:

6 Likes

In (American, 1980s) home ec class I was taught to make pizza crust out of bisquick. That’s well on the way to being a ‘scone crust’ and it wasn’t too bad.

5 Likes

Get schooled by Wikipedia.

9 Likes

Having traveled in Italy a bit, I can say unequivocally, “yes.”

8 Likes

The turtles influence was huge. We had an affinity for the turtles because the animation was done in Ireland.

It was fairly common to have a pizza station in Dunne’s (think Target, but grottier) and the mothers would mound 2 pounds of toppings on top. The pizza dough was like a sponge cake.

Bear in mind that large chain fast food restaurants weren’t common in the early '90’s. Pizza was seen as almost exotic.

13 Likes

“You don’t boil Pizza!”
-Bill Hicks

8 Likes

They have no right! French fries are actually Belgian…

2 Likes

And Hungarians of “authentic traditional” Hungarian dishes that sometimes show up on American cooking websites… at least I did so, until I had a streak of accompanying a work client to some really fancy touristy restaurants, and I kept coming across similarly mutated and er, “re-imagined” versions of those traditional dishes. So now I wonder if some poor tourists come here, eat at one of these restaurants that claim to serve “traditional” meals and come away with a completely distorted picture of what Hungarian cuisine is supposed to be like.

1 Like

Hm… What if you put some pizza dough in a Belgian waffle-maker?

5 Likes

Profit!!!

11 Likes

is a tostada a pizza ?

3 Likes

Meanwhile, in Scotland: Deep-fried Pizza!

9 Likes

You’ve never put a pizza pocket in a waffle maker??

(Admittedly, it was probably our friend Mary-Jane that introduced the idea to us)

3 Likes

I strongly dislike “articles” that consist almost entirely of pictures of other people’s tweets and replies. What a great way to take too much space to say very little in the most confusing layout.

5 Likes

I was under the assumption that an irish pizza was one eaten while drinking a pint of stout.
Anyway with a stout it’s better to take a pizza without tomatoes. With a Napoletana it’s better an unfiltered lager or a pale ale.

Questa foto di Partenope è offerta da TripAdvisor.

5 Likes

We made scone crust pizzas in my 1980s home economics class in southern England. They were OK, but then I was used to eating pizzas that contained baked beans and/or ‘luncheon meat’.

7 Likes