Irish people have a very strange understanding of "pizza"

In British home ec class, we did the scone based pizza as well. It’s not bad as it goes.

3 Likes

Irish pizza is some what legendarily bad. I can remember my younger cousins first coming to NY in the early to mid 90’s and being mystified that anyone would want to eat pizza. As the only pizza they’d had was from the Irish fast food chain Supermac’s. Which was super greasy sub school cafeteria pizza. Basically pure gas station food of the lowest order. Accusing people of liking Supermac’s pizza seemed to be a common insult.

Home ec classes are weird. I grew up in the NY metro area and they had us make pizza from tubes of Pillsbury Biscuit dough. Just seems to be a common easy cooking project for kids.

5 Likes

No, pero buen intento!

2 Likes

I don’t remember home ec pizza recipes at my school, but when I left my parents home I asked my brother to get me a copy of my school’s home ec recipe book because it had simple recipes without the faff that other recipe books had.

4 Likes

By the time I was in junior high school home ec was sort of on it’s way out in the US. So there was little in the way of actual cooking instruction. It peaked at common recipes for small children utilizing mixes and tubes of biscuit dough. The only useful thing I learned was basic hand sewing. Otherwise it was mostly watching videos about how to do laundry. It was removed from the curriculum by the time my youngest sibling hit that year of junior high.

Not much in the way of recipes I’d want to cook. And I learned basic life skills at home. When I hit college I had to teach my roommate how to cook a hot dog.

3 Likes

Mom used frozen Pillsbury roll dough (the kind in a tube that you would open by smacking it on the counter edge). Not bad, thin and crispy and fast. She would use pre-sliced mozzerella that would get molten hot and slide off the slice and blister your chin.

4 Likes

When I was in high school, I participated in a French exchange program. When our student showed up, he felt compelled to try anything with ‘French’ in the title, despite our warnings. French toast. French dressing. French Vanilla coffee… We got so used to him saying ‘zis ees not French!’ that it became a family meme that continues to this day (I’m now in my 40s).

8 Likes

I remember I was in the first grade when ET came out. I knew what pizza was, there was at least one pizzeria on the same street as the movie theater on the U of Michigan campus. but I don’t recall it being something my particular family ate until a few years later. The scene with the pizza delivery guy was very confusing to me, I just had no concept of food delivery at all. I don’t know if that means the concept hadn’t reached Michigan yet or I just personally didn’t know. By '83 we were ordering Domino’s, though, which was founded by a Michigander IIRC.
(And that weird California subdivision in ET, built into the side of a hill, kind of weirded me out; it really seemed wrong to six-year-old me.)

3 Likes

IIRC, before they reverted to the “stereotype” model of pizza making (Mexican, Hawaiian) Andy’s in Moldova had a couple of Russian cold-salad versions on their menu. Interesting, to say the least.

2 Likes

Ménage à quatre then?

4 Likes

…Amongst our Ménage are such elements as…

4 Likes

Here in C’bus Ohio I’ve encountered pizza on a base that seems like a short dough.
The locals think it’s grand, but as a transplant I find it an abomination.

1 Like

In Vancouver we have a well known (and quite expensive) restaurant called Vij’s. Vikram Vij is a bit of a celebrity chef - he was a dragon on the Canadian Dragon’s Den. He likes to walk around the restaurant and chat with the patrons. Apparently he confided to an Indian-Canadian co-worker of mine that his mother doesn’t love his food and openly wonders why any self-respecting Indian person would ever eat it. His rather straightforward explanation is that he’s a chef but he’s also running a business and he has to make food that non-Indian-people will buy.

4 Likes

The fundamental combo of any stringy cheese, tomato sauce, and savory dough is pretty great IMO.

Caveat: I recognize that there are varying degrees of quality amongst all three principle ingredients but if you love pizza, it’s all good.

1 Like
1 Like

I knew this as a fact, I just don’t think I really truly comprehended it the scope of it until now.

Also note that I bear no relation to the Dunnes of Dunne’s (I don’t think, anyway).

1 Like

Ehhh, I get that. In this context, however, I didn’t really have much to add that wasn’t sufficiently covered by Darach, and I didn’t want to just steal his research and put my name on it. So I shared his tweets to give him credit where it’s due, really.

1 Like

There is a Scottish restaurant near me in Boston that’s pretty fantastic, despite their famously unpalatable cuisine. He was getting tired of working in Irish pubs, so he opened his own place, hired some of the best chefs in the city, and basically said, “Here are the traditional things you find everywhere in Scotland, now make them less shitty.” And ya know what? It works!

1 Like

Ohio has a weird relationship with pizza. You can get a decent New York, Chicago, or Detroit style pie easily, but the home grown Ohio Valley style is an abomination.

1 Like

American pizzas in the UK:

Americano: pepperoni and sweetcorn
Hawaiian: pineapple, mushroom and ham
Chicago: baked beans (“windy city”), or tomato sauce, mozzarella, mature cheddar, Monterey Jack and emmental.
New York: pork sausage, pepperoni and ham

2 Likes