Irish people have a very strange understanding of "pizza"

I saw that movie!

4 Likes

In case anyone thinks this is a joke- here’s a short blog on the “delights” of chip-shop pizza:

2 Likes

Must’ve been Brown Jug or Cottage Inn, bonafide Ann Arbor institutions.

(And yes, you’re recalling correctly that the Domino’s guy is from Michigan. But he sucks as a human, so let’s substitute in the well-loved and much missed Mike Illich, Little Caesars founder.)

2 Likes

I guess I prefer having the text taken out and quoted rather than boxes all over the place, especially as unlike reddit or facebook, an embedded tweet and reply read bottom to top so your eye has to constantly scan up and down over the same information. Often the content of the initial tweet is the same so you see the same tweet over and over with different replies instead of only seeing the main tweet once and then the contents of multiple replies. It’s a lot of visual noise.

2 Likes

Many years ago, I spent some time in Canada studying for a degree. I’m Austrian myself, so I grew up sufficiently close to Italy to know what a pizza is.

At one time, a large group of students, mostly Canadians, but also including me and a French exchange student, went to the local Boston Pizza. When the pizzas were brought to our table, just as I was reaching for my first slice of pizza, the French guy reached for his knife and fork, looked around the table and asked, “Am I the only one using a knife and fork?”
Well, naturally, I had to switch from “When in Rome” mode to “European Unity” mode and help the French guy show them how to properly eat pizza.

Even though we do use our hands in Austria for fast food, microwave and delivery pizzas. But the Canadians didn’t have to know that.

One of the Canadians had ordered an abomination called a “Barbecue Chicken Pizza”. It came with a dipping sauce. I was quite baffled, but my Canadian friends just didn’t understand my bafflement. So I told them, if I used the words “Barbecue Chicken Pizza with a dipping sauce” in the presence of another Austrian, they’d think I was joking. My Canadian friends did not believe me.

About a year later, another student from Austria came to our Canadian university. I told him, “you know, in this country you can get a Barbecue Chicken Pizza with a dipping sauce.” He laughed out loud.

1 Like

The weirdest thing about Boston Pizza is that Boston is not known for its pizza.

7 Likes

Is any place on the continent? :wink:

2 Likes

you are all monsters

7 Likes

We never went out to eat when I was a kid (in the 70s). But my mom made pizza. Both regular (nonna-style?) and taco pizza (corn crust, typical taco fillings, lettuce after baking).

Yup! New York, Chicago and Detroit.

1 Like

Irish Independent, Saturday 20 May 1950. has a reference to Pizza Figliata. That’s the earliest pizza-like I can find in British or Irish newspapers (so far).

1 Like

Wrong impression. Irish pizza doesn’t automatically come with a stout. It comes with crisps. Sometimes (rarely, I believe) on top of it, but usually alongside.

2 Likes

Ok, one better, 1949: Pizza is defined as “a biscuit-like pastry covered with cheese, tomato and anchovies”.

2 Likes

Pepe’s!!!

I was amazed there was a chain called “Boston Pizza”, because there isn’t even one in Boston.

This whole article reminds of that scene at the end of Goodfellas where he orders pasta with marinara and gets egg noodles with ketchup.

3 Likes

When I lived in South Korea in the late 90s, cherries were served on pizza and cherry tomatoes on cake. I also remember Pizza Hut coming to our city and pizza would have whole prawns on them.

2 Likes

Well, in some weird country they call it “pie”, apparently.

2 Likes

But where are the poTAtoes?

2 Likes

3 Likes

No, they have some weird thing they call a ‘pie’, apparently eaten without cutlery. It has a superficial similarity to real (aka Italian) pizza, but really isn’t the same thing.

I’d tell you some varieties even include pineapple, but you probably wouldn’t believe me.

2 Likes

I was thinking of Pizza Uno that my maybe-not-real, six-year-old memory is placing on that street… uh, the one with the theater. not the State, not the Michigan, but the other one. if you follow the street from the theater away from campus a few blocks, you hit my school at the time, Angel Elementary.
but my timeline or location of Uno’s is probably wrong, really. I remember the names Brown Jug and Cottage Inn and probably knew where they were at the time, but that’s where my familiarity ends.

1 Like