Is the new Apple TV any good?

How do you even use VLC on the Apple TV? Laboriously typing stream urls? Hacking the internal memory to store files? Hacking an actual hole in the casing to install a usb port? I don’t even.

1 Like

On the iPad, you can wirelessly copy files over from VLC on your desktop (or via a wire if you connect to your PC, through iTunes). It stores files internally with no hacking required. Still a pain in the ass though, which is why I gave up and went with the Jailbreak/Kodi solution instead. If only that was still an option on the Apple TV side.

2 Likes

The new AppleTV is made to handle lots of native games and other kinds of apps; it has 64 GB of built in storage for that data as well as storing movies, music, etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been following VLCs struggle with Apple since the beginning. It has been so frustrating and quite the nightmare. The second time it was pulled it was because of the GNU-licensing, but that wasn’t the first time it was pulled from the store though. VLC only returned to non USA apple store last month. It has spent more time gone from the apple store then available.

Yeah, iOS is a pain that way with no way to browse the file system or realistic way to transfer files between apps. Even transferring a drawing inbetween several installed art apps that can read the same format is impossible on my iPad because of the crappy way the sandboxing was implemented.

let me guess…no usb port, no micro-sd card slot? HURRAY!!! grrrrrrrrr…

Hooray, it has a USB port, as well.

it does? well that is good news. can apps read media off of it? i am in shock… :slight_smile:

I’m an Apple Fanboi but this is one update I’d wait on. I have NO doubt that this might end up being a device to own, but I’m almost considering plugging in my old AppleTV and letting this one sit a couple months until Apple gets the quirks worked out. Hopefully. I spent 3 hours getting things set back up the way they were on the old machine – mostly because typing in passwords that have ANY sort of protection to them takes forever. My old one? Just use the Apple Remote on the iPhone or a Bluetooth keyboard that wouldn’t pair with this one.

Still looks nicer than my Roku and is more useful than my Firestick. If Amazon actually releases an app for this – which would take them all of asking their developers to change a few UI decisions and then republishing for the AppleTV as it uses 99% of the same codebase between iOS and tvOS…I might be able to get rid of two devices.

But right now…I wouldn’t suggest buying.

I doubt it - I’m guessing the USB port is if you want to plug in a keyboard or mouse.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.