Is the smartwatch fad over?

Oooh. Let’s play, “What would a smartwatch need to get you to buy it?”

For me:

• The “smart” part needs to be able to die and yet the “watch” part still needs to work. I have watches that are hybrid analog/digital, which have separate batteries for each — I envision something similar. The “watch” battery should last months; the “smart” battery is less important, but should last a workday at least. Qi charging preferred
  • It needs to be comfortable. Note that I have sensitive skin, and find very, very few watches comfortable.
  • From a distance, it should be indistinguishable from a stylish, round, analog watch.
  • Finally, it has to have some utility beyond wearing a watch. Fitness tracker is a good one, but if that’s all, I might as well just get a FitBit and wear it with a watch. GPS might be useful. 2FA, Bluetooth/NFC trusted device, and password management would be very useful. “Locate my [other thing]” (like Tile) would be awesome for me, especially if it also worked in reverse.

The first one is probably a dealbreaker, so I don’t anticipate getting a smartwatch anytime soon.

5 Likes