UK cops beat phone encryption by "mugging" suspect after he unlocked his phone

Given that this requires a fairly elaborate and very public operation (with a team biding its time for the perfect moment), and coincides with an arrest, I’d say it’d be difficult to do without a warrant.

2 Likes

They really ought to make one that isn’t dependent on buying their proprietary POS watch. A key-chain attachment would be infinitely better.

2 Likes

It’s any Bluetooth device, it was trying to turn it on for my car stereo the other day.

(Also, as there’s an actual spec for android wear stuff, doesn’t that make them the least proprietary smart watches?)

3 Likes

Well, less than Apple anyway. I just meant for those of us who wear real watches.

2 Likes

Evidence gathered during the commission of a crime, IE assaulting the suspect, is inadmissible in court. All evidence which can be reasonably shown to have been gathered by the original crime, thrown out also.

Assault the suspect, watch your case implode, go to jail for assault.

Might slow them down a bit, maybe.

1 Like

They’re slowly making progress on hybrid smartwatches (watches with mechanical movement but that can pair with smartphones for additional functionality).

I’m not excited for any of the current line of smartwatches, but after raking a closer look at the current offerings, I am getting really hopeful that I’ll get my dream watch someday.

2 Likes

That would be a bit better. Though I’m guessing you mean quartz movement. A smart-watch with a precision automatic mechanical movement and a computer at least would be useful after the computer inevitably became obsolete. Bonus points if the automatic winding can charge the battery via a small generator, but my guess is that it wouldn’t generate nearly enough current for that.

But it’s still a no-go for someone like me, for whom a watch is a family heirloom (yes, yes, obligatory Pulp Fiction butt-smuggling scene is implied, no need to post it thanks :wink:). I’m not saying no one should wear a smartwatch, but it shouldn’t be the only way to have proximity unlock on one’s phone.

1 Like

Yes, I meant quartz movement (for the moment, at least).

I had an awesome idea that they could make the links of a metal watchband contain extra modular functionality - extra battery cells, a pulse reader, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS… You could swap out different links depending on what you need.

But I’m going to wait to get the stuff I previously listed before I start wishing for really unlikely stuff.

2 Likes

That would be pretty cool. But at some point you’d still want to upgrade the watch-face/case for a newer screen. For me, that’s the crux of why they don’t appeal to me. A watch that becomes obsolete is too much like a wedding ring or a good-luck charm becoming obsolete. A watch is more than a tool for me and a lot of other people; it’s a cherished memento that shares your life. I engraved my Oris automatic watch with an inscription: Fons vitae caritas (Love is the fountain of life). It’s a pun since, being wound by my body movement, it’s literally powered by my heart :grinning:

2 Likes

My very nearly stock CAT S60 Android smartphone supports the phone being automatically unlocked if a Bluetooth device you’ve designated as “trusted” is connected, so no, I don’t think it is proprietary. However, it won’t work here. It unlocks, yeah, but doesn’t lock it back if the device goes out of range.

Besides, the cops can take away your trinket as well.

Presumably you could defeat this with a separate partition, as already suggested by many, and I suspect some additional security might help. Perhaps something as simple as triggering a lock if the accelerometer data gets a bit too frisky. After all, they can’t snatch the phone out of your hand gently, that would defeat the point.

3 Likes

Don’t use it in public.

Don’t use it with people around.

Don’t be a criminal (yeah yeah yeah, everyone breaks a dozen laws a day. But at least try not to be enough of one that cops are trying to grab your phone).

2 Likes

Instead of an iPhone use a flip-phone and an iPod touch?

Many of these seem like they are just encouraging the police to take you instead of just taking your phone. Maybe some would work in Scotland, but I wouldn’t try any of it in Chicago.

2 Likes

That’s the thing- fiddling over the details of how to attack or defend a phone is just rearranging the deck chairs while rome burns- the only real defense solution is a culture in which specific warrants are respected and required and over-stepping bounds on the part of the police and prosecutors is actually punished. Less than that means being caught in this arms race that we seem to be perpetually losing.

5 Likes

I guess I’m just feeling particularly jaded today, and I didn’t have much faith in law enforcement to start with.

Or maybe they’re pretending they’re on Lost, and have to enter 4 8 15 16 23 42 into the computer every 108 minutes.

3 Likes

This is quite tempting to try, but I have work in the morning…

1 Like

I’m not sure what’s much different here than tazing the guy and putting his thumb on the home button? Seems like semantics at this point.

1 Like

A phone that locks down when it’s a certain distance from an implanted RFID chip.

1 Like

This should be trivial for Apple to implement for Apple watch owners. They’ve already got unlock upon opening the computer down pat between the two devices. Why not a: “Help, someone snagged my phone!” mode for the paired apple watch? Push the button, phone locks down, makes obnoxious loud siren sounds.

1 Like