Is this the worst dark ride in America?

I loved that organ! And the trash pig!

For the benefit of those who don’t know, there was a big, chicken-wire/paper-mache mushroom near the clown organ that had a window with a pig looking out of it, like one of the Three Little Pigs. The genius of it was that the mouth was the open end of a vacuum tube, which sucked up your trash if you “fed” it. Never saw a more clever way to get kids to properly dispose of trash!

1 Like

This sketch was the last good thing to happen in 2016.

1 Like

That’s the mousetrap! I’ve ridden it a few times with mini-humans at the county fair. (Same fair where we got our bunnies.)

1 Like

Carnies man. It’s all about the sucker.

I imagine what happened here is they lost a bunch of stuff for the ride (i.e. the actual scary shit), and the boss said, “Fuck it, let’s set it up anyways”.

2 Likes

Oh man, I loved Count Floyd and SCTV. Thanks for this!

2 Likes

Sad to see such a 60s classic in such bad shape, and yet still running. The ride itself is the zombie.

Protip: A “dark ride” should actually be dark. I recall some kind of curtains and/or doors at the entrance/exit to the area supposed to be dark, that made it pitch black. If all those holes in the walls were bullet holes, I don’t think that be any scarier than a plugged highway sign.

4d3d8e3d10db6df8e0e5794d71f853b1

3 Likes

It’s a ride where you follow the path of cattle being led to slaughter, complete with authentic bare stainless steel walls which can easily be wiped down. So, from that point of view it’s one of the best dark rides in America.

1 Like

In fairness, in The Walking Dead Terminus episode the scary thing is not that they’re locked in a boxcar but the knowledge that if they’re ever let out of the boxcar it will be to be eaten by cannibals. So if you imagine that’s happening at the end of the ride it is kind of scary.

1 Like

Izzat what The Cousins call it? A Dark Ride? How peculiar. What’s wrong with Ghost Train?

I think the original Ghost Train was the one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but there were other “dark rides” before that. My parents wouldn’t let me go on it after I freaked out when I learned that Noah had allowed cthulhoid horrors onto his ark earlier that day. Or maybe it was my overactive imagination.

2 Likes

I think Disney claims credit for inventing the dark ride with Pirates of the Caribbean, but I’m sure they are wrong about being the first with the concept. I don’t know the history of dark rides, but I do know the history of big corporations taking credit for things. :smirk:

3 Likes

Dark rides go back to before the 20th century, so Disney would probably only hint that they invented them. “We invented the modern dark ride.”

3 Likes

I’ve never heard that claim. Even within Disneyland itself there are several notable dark rides such as Peter Pan’s Flight and Mr Toad’s Wild Ride that were open more than a decade before Pirates of the Caribbean was built.

3 Likes

I mean, wouldn’t a Tunnel of Love technically count as such?

2 Likes

I think Tunnels of Love are considered to be some of the first, yeah.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I could see this with art of the wastes of Nevada pasted on the insides and being called Desert Bus. Would make a few people thrilled. Some others complaining it wasn’t boring enough to live up to the name.

(Desert Bus is deliberately the world’s most boring video game, as a joke in an unreleased Penn and Teller Sega CD title. You drive a bus across eight real-time hours from Tuscon Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada, which scores you one point. Then you get to drive back. You cannot pause. There are no checkpoints or continues.)

3 Likes

The decor was probably on another truck, which broke down. They decided to run the damned thing any way, at least then they would get the cash.

1 Like

The best part is, the steering lists to the left, so you can’t put the controller down and walk away. You have to occasionally straighten it out again. It’s evil genius.

5 Likes

“Gaze into the creative void… of people who really couldn’t give a shit if they tried!”

1 Like