Is your life-saving inhaler killing the planet? NYT thinks so

The initial writers probably aren’t as bad as the subsequent and inevitable A/B testing clickbait maximiser engines.

7 Likes

Good example. I’m not sure how the epi-pen auto-injector would work in a glass housing, though. And one of the features of an epi-pen is that it can be carried in a first aid kit and endure some fairly heavy abuse, yet still work every time. But to your broader point, a whole hell of a lot is possible if the will exists.

5 Likes

I use a rescue inhaler and a daily inhaler.

For what I pay they should be sending someone to my house to pick up the empties and washing my car and cut the grass.

7 Likes

according to the parts breakdown, a glass vial is involved.

3 Likes

As a sufferer of asthma who uses both a daily inhaler and an emergency one, I say f you NYT. I’d be happy to use something more environmentally friendly if it were available. For now I do my part by not using private jets or super-yachts.

13 Likes

Right, but the carriage and mechanism is all plastic and some metal. At least all of them I’ve seen.

1 Like

… I tried thinking deeply about it before consuming anything but as it turns out my thoughts have no influence over what stuff comes packaged in :confused:

4 Likes

I guess you could read the quotes from Claire Lund and Katrine DiBona as implicitly condemning the consumers who could participate in pilot recycling programs, but chose not to.

2 Likes

… I’m happy to “thoughtlessly” put everything in the recycling bin and let the recycling people figure it out, but they don’t like that either :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Fuck shaming the ill and disabled. Shame the fucking petrochemical industry, for starters.

obfuscatingintelligence
if you set off a rube goldberg type death trap to kill someone, if it’s a long enough machine, it ceases to become your fault if somebody dies at the end. that’s how I’ve gotten away with it all these years, and why I’m still going to heaven.

viviantimmet

10 Likes

$135,000 for a 26 day first class world tour sounds pretty good value for money, actually.

To get back to the main point, it’s obviously ridiculous to blame diabetics, asthma and anaphylactic shock sufferers for the tiny bit of pollution in their injectors when the van which delivers the injectors to the pharmacy produces kilograms of CO2 per mile. If it was an electric van powered by renewables, no problem. In fact, make those bottles out of glass because the extra weight doesn’t matter any more.

Society needs to work out what things are essential to make from plastic, phase out everything else, and work out how to filter the planet of micro-particles.

3 Likes

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0959652618336084?via%3Dihub

Despite the heightened urgency of curbing carbon emissions around the world, the healthcare sector in general, and the pharmaceutical sector in particular have received very little attention from the sustainability community in terms of their contribution to the global carbon footprint. In this paper, we conduct an analysis of the overall contributions and the historical emissions trends of the pharmaceutical sector, as well as an industry-specific comparative analysis of the major pharmaceutical companies in the world. Surprisingly, our analysis reveals that the pharmaceutical industry is significantly more emission-intensive than the automotive industry. We also use a previously published mathematical framework linking national target emissions to the target emission intensity of the pharmaceutical sector to derive the emission intensity of the pharmaceutical sector required for the US to meet its reductions commitments per the now defunct Obama-administration commitments at the 2015 Paris Agreement. We identify the excess emitters among the top-15 Pharmaceutical companies, from those that are leading the pack with their emissions improvement efforts. The results are quite instructive as we find a far greater variability amongst the Top-15 pharmaceuticals than the Top-10 automotive companies, suggesting a very disparate set of environmental practices within the industry. The paper should elicit further in-depth studies of the environmental performance of the pharmaceutical sector and help inform policy makers, business leaders and academicians on how to help curb this unwarranted level of emissions in this important and growing industry sector.

2 Likes

My local pharmacy has recently started collecting “used and unwanted” inhalers in a small box on their counter.
It did make me wonder if someone has found a safe way to refill the things.

3 Likes

But you have choices as to what to buy. Bottled water? Drinks in plastic bottles vs. cans? And for some products there is choice as to packaging. Pre-(plastic)-bagged fruit and veg vs. loose? And so on. A little thought can make a difference on many occasions.

… truly you know all about me and my bad choices

1 Like

Only what you revealed here. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.