Isaac Asimov: How to never run out of ideas again

This reminds me of a trick another writer I once met told me. Rather than worry about filling a page he got a long roll of paper so he had one continuous sheet.

There’s probably a way to do that in word processors.

2 Likes

@doctorow just leaves off in mid-sentence, as he’s said in podcasts, and then starts there the next day.

3 Likes

This works out to about 320mm, or nearly 13" of mutton chops.

1 Like

For me my major block is twofold.

1. I expect far better from me than I’m able to output to the point of basically more or less being disgusted with everything I make.

2. Given my personal situation it always feels like I can never make something satisfactory enough to make said situation better.

So boils down to it never being enough and with the proverbial tire spinning in mud rather than gaining traction. I see little point.

Edit: THe main pointis, this is helpful. I mean christ look at Asimov’s lifetime output. Maybe not all of it was good, but dude has a literal library’s worth of material under his belt; magazines, non-fiction, and fiction. So yea, he has a thing or two worth saying.

2 Likes

I get that with writing fiction. And with some other endeavors (like trying to play the violin after a 20-year hiatus). It’s frustrating and I just give up, since it’s no fun. I think to follow Asmiov’s advice and what I was talking about, requires a certain level of practice/proficiency already.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.