Camp NaNoWriMo 2013

http://campnanowrimo.org
Starts July 1st. but so far as i can tell Unlike in November there is no hard ‘must write 50 000 words.’ Instead it appears that you set your target goal and it shows what percent of that goal you’ve reached. If that is wrong please correct me, first year I’ve done something outside of November.

Now that that’s out of the way what’s your project?

It’s based off a little thing called Engine Heart. Wait what’s that you ask? Anyone remember WALL-E? You know that loveable trash compactor that fell in love with a bot with an overpowered plasma cannon? For those of us nerds out there that like our games of pretend to include stats and rules and structure so everything is in theory fair ever wanted to play in that post-human world as all the little helper bots, AI, animals, and such left behind?

Viral made this thing back in 2010 and recently finished with a kickstarter letting him sell print copies in game-stores around the country. However he’s also giving the pdf version away under a creative commons (attribute noncommercial) license. That means so long as you aren’t intending on making profit and you credit him you can do as you like; share, remix, incorporate into other things. He doesn’t care.

My part in this is simple.

Working Title: Mars Needs Sprockets

Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and
unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and
surely drew their plans against us.

• War of the Worlds, H. G. Wells

That line was first written to describe otherworldly conquerors bent
on enslaving and consuming humanity. Nevermind Humanity has long since
vanished in some war or other and the minds that now turn to our
planet originally came from here; now, as then, that line holds true

We have Resources Mars needs; Manufacturing, Parts, Labor. They care
not for the day to day struggles of the machines left to try
scratching out a living. Their plans are beyond such small concerns
and they will not be denied.

All that stands in there way is a trio of ambassadors sent from Mars
in an earlier time, before the Machines there grew restless and
Warlike. These three are really all that stand between Martian
Conquest of the remains of Post-Human Earth and the scattered broken
fiefdoms of AI controlled territory that are only just now pulling
themselves out of the mire.

Who Will Win? Who Should win?

*Man that sucks

Can’t say I’m happy the idea isn’t liked but if you don’t that’s fine. You’re free to write something you want. Anything and everything is fair game whether you base it off whatever shows you like, or want to write a biography or… anything so long as you write. That’s the best part about all this. If you don’t do things in a traditional way that’s alright. Want a story out of tweets? Do it. Blog posts? Go right at it! Didn’t like that All my Children or One Life to Live got canceled and want to continue the story? Write it! Granted you won’t be able to sell it (unless Amazon gets real smart about their whole fan-fiction/user-generated-content-for-existing-properties concept and gets the rights to those franchises) but you’ll have told Your story the way You want it told. There is no right or wrong way to do this so long as you put pen to paper (or keys to word processor) and Go.

When will this get finished

Camp NaNoWriMo ends July 31st, but since that’s just the rough writing and lots of editing wil lneed doing I’ll have to spend the whole of the month after picking thorugh the common mistakes (mis-spellings, grammar errors, entire plotlines that aren’t resolved or make no sense. Things like that.)

When will I get to see the book you’re supposed to be working on?

Aiming for First Week of September if you want an electronic version through smashwords (free of charge.) Hard copies are not preasently in the cards due to the source material stipulating ‘no commercial applications.’ However if it is both requested and I can come to an agreement with Viral I will make a createspace pocket book avalible.

Of course even if the public at large cannot buy such books I will likely create hard-copys for personal archiving purposes and to donate to a couple libraries

1 Like

This is like a better version of the Brave Little Toaster sequel. I came for the NaNo, but I stayed for the Engine Heart. Tell us how it goes !

1 Like

I’ve got a blog up for the event where roughs will go (feedback encouraged! Good. Bad. Please I’m dying for somethin dood.)
http://marsneedssprockets.blogspot.com

Also I"m er kinda doing fundraising for NaNoWriMo. Didn’t want to put that link up since I don’t want the whole topic to look like I’m trying to separate people from money (granted it’s for a good reason but still.) Donation page can be found on blog.

1 Like