Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

:thinking:

Who are Evan Hill and Daniel Friedman, and why should I care what they have to say?

4 Likes

Evan Hill is a Washington Post reporter.

Daniel Friedman is a novelist.

Evan Hill quotes the September 2022 report by the Independent International Commission of Inquiry (PDF).

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2022/10/commission-inquiry-finds-israeli-occupation-unlawful-under-international-law

3 Likes

Thanks but I’m still trying to make sense of your tossing support Elon Musk’s way by linking those Tweets here.

So some random novelist is contradicting a claim by the Independent International Commission of Inquiry that Israel as a country is occupying Gaza by saying, Oh no it’s not, no Jews actually live there [which isnt what “occupied territories” means], and by the way, it’s those Hamas barbarians who actually occupy it?

Are you saying you agree with Friedman?

3 Likes

No, I’m not agreeing with Friedman, which is why is posted the tweet by Evan Hill explaining why he is wrong. I thought that it would be useful to clarify that Israel is the occupying power in the Gaza Strip.

5 Likes

Thanks again. Some commentary of your own like that would really help to explain why you’re drawing attention to this or that bit of flotsam and jetsam.

3 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

From the Guardian’s liveblog:

7m ago09.41 EDT

EU freezes aid to Palestinians

The European Commission announced this afternoon that it is putting all its development aid to Palestinians under review.

Oliver Várhelyi, the EU’s commissioner for neighbourhood and enlargement, said 691 million euros in aid is impacted.

“All payments immediately suspended. All projects put under review. All new budget proposals, incl. for 2023 postponed until further notice. Comprehensive assessment of the whole portfolio.

2 Likes
4 Likes

“Development assistance to Palestine should be stopped”

Does “Palestine” mean the West Bank as well as Gaza? Is there a way to separate the aid going to them?

3 Likes

And then there’s this guy. Billy Graham’s kid. Only God can fix this but God’s gonna need help by forcing people to carry assault weapons.

“Excuse me
 what does God need with a starship?”

He warned that the same type of attack could happen in the United States.

“And so in this country, we have a right to protect ourselves [because of the Second Amendment],” Graham observed. “So you have a right to have a gun and protect yourself. In Israel, it’s difficult to get a gun permit.”

“But as far as having an assault rifle in your home or a shotgun or a hunting rifle, these things are very difficult,” he continued. “And you would think that Israel would require anyone living close to the border of Gaza to have weapons in their home and maybe even be forced to carry those weapons. And I just, for the life of me, I can’t understand what happened.”

The reverend said he also wanted to “put blame on the Biden administration and the Democratic Party” because of the withdrawal from Afghanistan.

“Only God can fix this and straighten it out,” he insisted. “Our politicians are off-the-charts crazy, and I don’t understand it. But what you’re seeing in Israel could happen here one day, I’m afraid.”

And Jen is still calling out bs when she hears it.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Paywalled so I can’t read the full text, but the headline is clear enough.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Is looking like a reaction to that music festival deliberate?

2 Likes

from @mspie500 in the fuck musk thread

6 Likes
4 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

5 Likes

BBC News - Gaza ‘soon without fuel, medicine and food’ - Israel authorities

3 Likes

4 Likes