Israel versus Palestine, Lebanon, aid workers, and journalists. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

Israel is a small country and there’s literally no location within its borders that is outside of “bombardment” range from a hostile border. Tel Aviv gets rockets lobbed at it all the time.

6 Likes

Israelis have far more choices than Gazans… who lack basic of mobility with regards to avoiding being killed by air bombardment. 2 million people, whatever their political alignments have been locked in an open air prison for literally years now, which is frankly, an illegal form of collective punishment! Some children have lived their entire lives under this state of affairs. And the article @GagHalfrunt posted from 972 above, the current government in Israel has no interest in doing anything about that reality. I’m not sure how anyone expected a different outcome, especially since Netanyahu has doubled down on West Bank settlements and expulsions from Jerusalem.

So yeah, it sucks to live in a place where you get bombs lobbed at you. That’s just as true for the Palestinians as it is for Israelis. But far too many Israelis would, apparently, prefer to have a right wing government that doesn’t give a shit about Palestinian lives. They can vote the fuckers out, while that’s not the case with Palestinians, who’ve not had elections in years, thanks in part to the conditions on the ground that’s due in large part to Israeli decisions. The Israelis really do hold the majority of cards here, and I don’t see how anyone could not have expected this, especially since Arab states clearly no longer give a shit either…

9 Likes

Agreed that the Palestinians have it far worse. I wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise. Just responding to the specific point about places being inside or outside of “bombardment range.”

2 Likes

3 miles from Gaza is a lot closer than Tel Aviv. Dangerously close considering its a hostile border. Hamas was able to breach the defenses and drive through en masse right to where the concert was in minutes.

3 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

I’m going with “Yes.”

6 Likes

:thinking:

A lot of people will say it. Some politicians too… I think @tcg550 was being ironic, mocking these political trollies that have emerged all over the world.

1 Like
3 Likes

I reported it wrong I thought she said BLM but she said antifa. By said, she retweeted someone she agreed with.

4 Likes

And when the terrorists over here wear white… must mean they’re the good guys, eh MTG?

8 Likes

… if she means “pro-Palestine demonstrators” in DC then it’s hardly a surprise they might overlap with “antifa” :confused:

7 Likes
4 Likes

This is something else.

Rosenberg: How did you ultimately get out?

Tibon: I called Amos, but I also called my father. My father is a retired general. He’s 62 years old. He lives in Tel Aviv. And my parents told me, “We’re coming. It’s an hour-and-20-minute drive.”

… They get out of the car. My father is retired; he doesn’t have military-grade weapons. In Israel, unlike in America, citizens cannot buy AR-15s, and I’m glad for that. But my father has a pistol with him, and he and this other soldier join the soldiers who are fighting the Hamas cell, they help kill them, and now they’re very close to my kibbutz.

… I tell them, “If we stay quiet, your grandfather will come and get us out of here.” And at 4 p.m., after 10 hours like this, we hear a large bang on the window, and we hear the voice of my father. Galia, my oldest daughter, says, “Saba higea”—“grandfather is here.”

5 Likes

Among my worries is that a response, probably an excessive one, is quite predictable and probably was planned for. Maybe Hamas did not plan for anything beyond the attack but I would be worried that something is lurking.

3 Likes

Israel has previously shown it has little stomach for taking on the kinds of losses required to launch a ground invasion and occupation of Gaza, so I question if Hamas had specific plans for it beyond contingencies they’ve likely had for the last decade.

It will be extremely bloody for Israel (and more so for Gazans) regardless of any Hamas surprise if they decide to go through with.

4 Likes

Al Jazeera has a few others countries plus some extra details though not as terse.

Al Jazeera’s transformed into compact list:

:argentina: Argentina: 7 dead, 15 missing
:brazil: Brazil: 3 missing
:cambodia: Cambodia: 1 dead
:canada: Canada: 1 dead, 3 missing
:chile: Chile: 2 missing
:colombia: Colombia: 2 missing
:fr: France: 2 dead, 14 missing
:de: Germany: Several hostages
:ireland: Ireland: 1 missing
:it: Italy: 2 missing
:mexico: Mexico: 2 hostages
:nepal:Nepal: 10 dead, 1 missing
:panama: Panama: 1 missing
:paraguay: Paraguay: 2 missing
:peru: Peru: 2 missing
:philippines: Philippines: 7 missing
:ru: Russia: 1 dead, 4 missing
:tanzania: Tanzania: 2 missing
:thailand: Thailand: 12 dead, 11 hostages
:ukraine: Ukraine: 2 dead
:uk: United Kingdom: 1 dead, 1 missing
:us: United States: 11 dead, others missing

The numbers seem to keep increasing though. Thailand now says 18 dead:

3 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-10/israel-hamas-conflict-was-a-test-for-musk-s-x-and-it-failed

Israel-Hamas Conflict Was a Test for Musk’s X, and It Failed
Researchers say changes to verification, safety policies make the site an unreliable source for news

5 Likes

Allegedly Netanyahu had a genius plan to weaken the Palestinian Authority and make a Palestinian state impossible by allowing Hamas to grow. Good old colonial divide and rule, in other words.

6 Likes