Italian mafia fugitive caught in Spain after he appeared on Google Street View

Originally published at: Italian mafia fugitive caught in Spain after he appeared on Google Street View | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“How did you find me? I haven’t even called my family for 10 years!”

We Googled it Dude.

14 Likes

“Isolate x20 to l14… enhance… track left… zoom…”
“Sir, we can fetch you a large type version of the menu.”

12 Likes

Wait, I thought they blurred everyone’s faces on Google Maps street view?

9 Likes

Maybe there is a special Steet Cop View?

9 Likes

A timely reminder to blur your home and any other private property you may have on street view.

1. Go to Google Maps and enter your home address

2. Enter into Street View mode by dragging the small yellow human-shaped icon, found in the bottom-right corner of the screen, onto the map in front of your house

3. With your house in view, click “Report a problem” in the bottom-right corner of the screen

4. Center the red box on your home, and select “My home” in the “Request blurring” field

5. Write in the provided field why you want the image blurred

6. Enter your email address and click "Submit
    Maybe use a burner email account too

6 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me

2 Likes

The Italian police scan every street in Spain on Street View looking for the body shapes of suspects? Slightly implausible?

3 Likes

They don’t.

2 Likes

Following which you get a special place on the ‘people who want to hide’ list maintained by the NSA and others, I have zero doubt.

A good practice for escaped victims of abuse (unless, of course, the abusers are LEO).

2 Likes

I’m sure I’m already on the NSA lists.

2 Likes

Indeed, I presume this is the police covering for an informant.

4 Likes

“I am on the run from the law in my own country, and don’t want to be found.” /s

4 Likes

What are the chances?

What is this, a numbers game?

1 Like

Obviously this news shows the opposite.
He was blurred and found…

It’s like trying to unsubscribe from spam email by answering them…

convicted murderer and mafia Gioacchino Gammino

The mafia is the organization. He’s a mafioso. (Unless this is one of those “army of one” deals.)

1 Like

Its kind of sad to know we cant just disappear anymore. Unless you want to live in a Unabomber shack I mean.

A semi famous musician bought something from me on ebay once. I googled his address and his house was blurred, which was funny because it was a very average looking triple decker on Staten Island. What did he expect we’d see, his bike? Houseplants? The trash cans? I’ve since run into this randomly while getting directions to someone’s house, a neighbors house will be blurred, which just draws more attention to it.

1 Like

One might consider providing a googlefuzz service for a small consideration. Hide your client’s as one in, say, 50 other randomly chosen ones.