It's election day, and the polls are open nationwide

Mine is absolutely beautiful:

Legalized marijuana will ban fossil fuels. YAY!

17 Likes

Same here. We all received our ballots in the mail and dropped them off in person at the government center.

6 Likes

Trumpy will crush up some Adderall and Biden will make flapjacks.

Winner: Biden

6 Likes

By mail, a couple weeks ago. The sticker came in the envelope along with the ballot, instructions, and return envelopes. Online tracking says my ballot was accepted and will be counted :slight_smile:

16 Likes

To all the American posters here, good luck and godspeed. And of course, if you haven’t done so already, go vote! :ballot_box_with_check:

17 Likes

XKCD reminds us there’s still time to make a difference, even if you’ve already voted.

18 Likes

Stephan Pastis said it best:

22 Likes

Good Luck to all Americans!

BTW, I have a question that hasn’t really been answered by international news coverage. I’m sure we’ll hear horror stories about hours-long lines at polling stations again. But what’s the “normal” situation?

If you live in an area that is not being targeted for voter suppression, how far do you expect your polling station to be away and how long do you expect to wait there?

Will you all be taking the day off to vote, or will it just be a short break for everyone except the “unlucky” ones?

9 Likes

Wow… I do wonder if this is happening elsewhere. I mean in other red districts. I hope so, and that they can see that voter suppression tactics will backfire.

Plus, I do have to say, that 30 minutes compared to wait times here in some places is nothing, so why they are whinging? Like in south Fulton county (an Atlanta metro county) a couple of places had 11 hour long lines, so… I’d say 30 minutes is the average for my precinct in normal times during a presidential year.

That’s good, but they probably had to do so…

Ugh!

Hell yes! I for one welcome our new homosexual overlords!

21 Likes

It’s my mission.

10 Likes

Love that show. I think Matt Lucas is a nice addition, as well.

1 Like

What a glorious day that would be. Hallelujah!

18 Likes

Good luck to everyone today.
I can only imagine how stressful today will be, watching from outside the US.

12 Likes

In the US, voting rules are left up to state and local governments so the answer to your question about normal voting procedure varies widely across the country. In my personal experience, normal has been a walk to the polling place and a ~20 minute wait. In some precincts voter suppression is always at play and waiting for hours is the norm. There isn’t any true normal, as voting has always been a series of local battles to make it easy for “us” to vote and hard for “them” to vote

21 Likes

Thank you. If there’s support we need from anyone, it’s the support of a congenital optimist! :grimacing:

14 Likes

Hi there! I already voted (dropped off ballot), but the polling places are close enough. We used to be a 1/4 mile walk from our polling place at a middle school, and we’d vote before work. (Very quick.) However, the county moved it to a community center at a large park (more parking) about two miles away during the primary. Not as convenient, but I was able to cast an early vote the weekend before (also quick).

The middle school had its problems (no real parking for people who lived farther out), poor lighting in the mid-century auditorium, and general school forgetfulness (they forgot about the election and scheduled a school performance one year).

My experience may not be typical. I live in a blue city (Long Beach), in a blue county (LA) and in a blue state (CA).

(My local neighborhood is a bit right of center, but I’ve seen zero Trump signs. Even in the high income area of Naples I saw only one Trump sign (on a boat). Tbe multimillion-dollar homes had Biden signs.)

16 Likes

But what checks and balances are there to make sure you really voted when you use the sticker?

Just passing out stickers with ballots might lead to voter sticker fraud, people not bothering to vote, but wearing the sticker.

I could wear one of those stickers, and it would be fraud since I’m not a US citizen.

11 Likes

In the 12 years I have voted in the same location, I have never had to wait, until today - 90 minutes in line. I felt good to only see 2 or 3 Magats with no masks on, and everyone was social distancing.

12 Likes

It doesn’t say where you voted, though :wink:

5 Likes

Where I live has a high number of immigrants from India & Pakistan and sits in the Illinois technology corridor. The district is skewing more blue over the past 20 years. Now it leans mostly blue on the big ticket elections, and a mix on the down-ticket elections.

I walked 1/2 a mile to the polling place, waited 5 minutes, no hassle, no pressure.

10 Likes