"It's Spooky" is an awesome collaboration between musicians Daniel Johnston and Jad Fair

Originally published at: "It's Spooky" is an awesome collaboration between musicians Daniel Johnston and Jad Fair | Boing Boing

1 Like

Daniel Johnson’s voice is arresting.

3 Likes

I am confused. Isn’t Happy Talk a cover of a song Captain Sensible released in 1982? I do like this version though.

I ask mainly because for a moment, before I thought about the timeline, I was like “Well yeah, of course those are Daniel Johnston lyrics”

ETA: Oh! TIL it’s originally from South Pacific.

1 Like

Years ago I checked out a documentary at the library on a band called Half Japanese. “Oh, that’s our David,” said the librarian, and sure enough, there was David Fair at one of the other checkout desks. I took the video home and watched it and it was quite unusual. First, they couldn’t play. At all. They had no idea how to tune their instruments. David’s approach to guitar was like, ‘Oh, it’s easy. The skinny strings make high pitched sounds and the fat strings make low rumbly sounds’, or something like that. I thought it was a sort of well done spoof. But when talking to David, who is a very interesting guy, I discovered they were quite serious, and people were actually paying to listen to them! Apparently they had/have quite a following in Europe, and I believe they started their own record label - Shakemore - and host the annual Shakemore Music Festival. While I never met Jad, I still see David around town occasionally and even though he’s not actively involved in the band on a regular basis, he brings me up to speed on their various projects.

1 Like

“It’s Spooky is an awesome collaboration between musicians Daniel Johnston and Jad Fair.”

Can confirm.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.