It's still uncertain who fired the shot that killed Manfred von Richthofen

Originally published at: It's still uncertain who fired the shot that killed Manfred von Richthofen | Boing Boing

2 Likes

On that note, the Roger Corman produced WWI film, “Von Richthofen & Brown”, is available on Youtube in its entirety. The movie is a fictional story of the Red Baron’s last days and makes no effort at historical accuracy on that account. But it is a fun little film using fairly good replicas of WWI aircraft

3 Likes

In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

4 Likes

I thought the historic record was perfectly clear.

20 Likes

4 Likes

To give you a perspective of time, this was made 53 years after the death of the Red Baron (and the end of WWI later that year). That’s only the time since the Tet Offensive in the Vietnam War to today.

1 Like

I’m not sure it really matters at this point. This, and other unknowns like the fate of Amelia Earhart, are things people need to learn to accept are likely never to be known for certain.

1 Like

Amelia Earhart’s body may have been eaten by ginormous crabs. If true, hopefully she was already dead at the time.
Amelia Earhart Was Eaten By Crabs.

1 Like

But in terms of film production, it was a time when you still could find a good number of mock-ups, restorations and replicas of the planes used during the period.

Nowadays CGI has replaced using real planes for depictions of airplanes used in both world wars. There is something about stunt work with actual planes which I find fun to watch.

1 Like

Sorry it wasn’t clear – I mean only 53 years to be relatively recent, as you’d find not only artifacts from the WWI period in 1971 but also veterans who, while not young, weren’t incredibly ancient either, just as there are plenty of Vietnam veterans still around today, not rare like WWII veterans (or completely non-existent like WWI veterans now).

1 Like

Good point about the veterans. I was making a point about the availability of period era “warbirds”.

Even with films made not that long after a war, it could be difficult to find certain vehicles/planes. For example Japanese WWII ace Saburo Sakai was easy enough to find and interview in The World At War in the 1970’s. But that flyable Zeros were virtually impossible to find after the war. Movies and TV shows had to rely on using American T-6 Texan trainers for mockups of them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.